Hoisin Glazed Country Style Ribs - Smoked!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinhusker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
So my boyfriend saw on tv someone making Grilled Hoisin Glazed Ribs and thought he might like them. I didn't have any spares but did have Country Style Ribs and thought I'd give them a shot. Just in case they weren't as good as he thought they might be, I did some of my regular rub CSRs as well to be on the safe side. I'll post the recipe at the end.

Here's they are in the marinade. They were in there overnight.

03e55b0e_DSC_0522.jpg

Regular rubbed ribs

ca9e1642_DSC_0520.jpg

Then there's a rub for the Hoisin Glazed ones, but I forgot a pic of that. This is after being in the smoker for 3 hrs and brushing with the glaze. Not bad! Smoker was at 230* with hickory and apple, dumped the marinade in an aluminum foil pan underneath, with some added water and smoked them for approximately 5.5 hrs. 

6e483b4c_DSC_0525.jpg

The regular rub ribs after 3 hrs and no spritzing, mopping or such. 

bae1b079_DSC_0526.jpg

I glazed the Hoisin ones, after they had been in the smoker for 1 hr, every 30 minutes for the next 3.5 - 4 hours. Didn't foil either the Hoisin Glazed or the regular rub ones and didn't add any Gates Original BBQ sauce to the regular ones until I put them on the grill for the last 30 minutes or so.

dcb871c7_DSC_0528.jpg

My plate.

b81a9b98_DSC_0531.jpg

All in all, they were pretty good, just a bit on the sweet side for us. The regular rub ribs were a bit drier, but I didn't spritz or mop, nor did I foil them. Next time regular rub ribs get spritzed and foiled!

Thanks for looking!

Grilled/Smoked Hoisin Glazed Ribs

This is originally written for making in the oven, I did them in the smoker then onto a hot grill for about 20-30 minutes.

For the marinade:

1/2 cup Hoisin sauce

6-oz pineapple juice

1 tbsp sambal chili sauce or hot sauce (I substituted Tiger Sauce)

Cut rack in half and place in resealable bag, pour marinade over ribs and massage. Refrigerate 8 hrs or more.

For the rub (I had to double this to cover the four ribs):

2 tbsp salt

1/2 tsp 5-spice powder

1 tbsp brown sugar

pinch of cayenne

Remove ribs from ziplock and dab dry with paper towel. Generously apply the dry rub all over. Roast in oven at 300 degrees for one hour. Smoking or grilling is optional.

For the basting sauce:

1/2 cup ketchup

1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar

1 tbsp soy sauce

1 tbsp Asian fish sauce

2 tbsp Hoisin sauce

Mix all ingredients well in small bowl. After 1 hr, baste the ribs with a brush, both sides and repeat every 30 minutes, and it will form a nice golden brown/red crust. Repeat this for about 3 1/2 - 4 hrs total. Then onto a hot grill for about 20-30 minutes.

If you like them to melt off the bone, continue cooking it a little longer at a lower tempurature. 

They look great.  Awesome color on them  

I think you got a lot of your sweetness from the Hoisin sauce - 
[h2] [/h2]

They look great.  Awesome color on them  

I think you got a lot of your sweetness from the Hoisin sauce - 
[h2] [/h2]
Thanks Gary! You're probably right...any thoughts as to how to cut the sweetness? We liked them just a bit too sweet, would the Sambal Chili Sauce or hot sauce instead of Tiger Sauce make a difference.

Thanks Gary! You're probably right...any thoughts as to how to cut the sweetness? We liked them just a bit too sweet, would the Sambal Chili Sauce or hot sauce instead of Tiger Sauce make a difference.
I missed that there was ketchup (the evil ingredient not allowed in my house 
biggrin.gif
) in there too. That also has a lot of sugar in it. I just read where 64% of the calories in ketchup are from sugar.  I bet Jimmy will have a great solution but my thought would be replace the ketchup with tomato sauce and leave the Hoisin as is to keep a similar flavor profile. Sambol and Tiger will change the flavor but sound like good additions or substitutions   

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky