Hog casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jam030303

Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
I was wanting to get peoples opinions on whether I should freeze or salt my extra hog casings and what would be the procedures for the two methods. Also, is it possible to over work your meat when mixing it to make sausage?  Thanks.

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

I was wanting to get peoples opinions on whether I should freeze or salt my extra hog casings and what would be the procedures for the two methods. Also, is it possible to over work your meat when mixing it to make sausage?  Thanks.
You can re salt the casings and refrigerate. Remove the casings from the fresh bowl of water you were rinsing them in and place them in a container. the casings will be saturated with enough water so you will not need to add.... I like to use a mason jar and add 1/4 cup of non iodized salt, mix and refrigerate.... 

Also, I've found that casing that I've frozen in the past has softened up too much for me and I ended up with tears and blowouts...

Charlie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky