Hog Apple Smoked Beans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bossman

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Did these for my son's birthday party with family and friends over. Huge success, none left
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

THought I would share some photos, next time join the party!
061d50fc_vbattach16345.jpg

7d47032e_vbattach16344.jpg

9c6d20a4_vbattach16343.jpg

Reactions: Colin1230
Bossman, those look wonderful.....and you have all of my favorite words in the title!
biggrin.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Have you posted the recipe? I'd sure be interested...
smile.gif

Per everyones request, here is the recipe. I can't take credit for this, Keri is a fellow BBQ competitor and is active on a couple of other list servs that I belong too. I smoke my beans at 225-250 for about 2 1/2 hours.

Here is her recipe for the beans. As stated in the recipe, you can put what Q sauce and Rub you prefer. I'll try and find her email and post that as well if you would like to contact her directly. She and her husband are awesome people! Enjoy!

Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)
1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
1 can apple pie filling (chop up the big chunks some)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)

Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.

This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own.
This is my standard for baked beans anymore.

*This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Reactions: 48°North
Thanks for sharing ... I'll just have to give that one a try soon!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I have swapped out pineapple and replaced with diced mango in Dutch's Wicked Beans with very favorable results.

Reviving an old thread...
These beans are like candy. Every time I make them people want the recipe. I explain that you cannot replicate these beans without a smoker.

I found Keri's recipe years ago and did some modifications.
Here is the Original Keri's Hog Apple Baked Beans.

Here is my version:
Brian’s Smoked Hog Apple Baked Beans
Serves: 20

I use a giant cast iron pot (Dutch Oven)
Ingredients

4 slices diced bacon DICE then cook
1-2 blobs of smoked pork fat
2 cans 28 oz each of Bush's baked beans or 1 55 oz can
1/2 cup BBQ Sauce (I make my own)
1 pound Pulled Pork or other leftover pork (I've used rib meat)
1 can 20 oz plain apple pie filling Bump TWICE in food processor *See footnote for option
1 Medium chopped onion
1/2 chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1 teaspoon chipotle powder
1/3 cup rub (I make my own)

Directions

Dice: onion, green pepper and bacon first!

Brown the bacon bits. Toss bacon bits into the cast iron pot. Reserve the bacon grease.

Sauté the onion and green pepper in the left-over bacon grease.

While cooking the onion/peppers...

Finely sift the chipotle, brown sugar and rub into the pot.

Bump apple pie filling in a food processor to break the fruit up into pea-sized chunks. Don’t turn it into applesauce.

Ask sous chef (spouse) to mind the onion/peppers while you...

Fire up the smoker to 225 with hickory. (I use a Green Mountain Pellet Grill)

Add an Amazn smoke tube also.

Mix in everything but the onion / pepper.

Once mixed, toss in onion / pepper.

Salt and pepper then, then stir (crazy).

DO NOT COVER THE POT – YOU WANT SMOKE

Cook for 1 hour then stir. Then cook to internal temp of about 160 (about another half hour).

What we don't eat right away we put into vacuum bags and carefully seal. To warm up, bring a pot of water to a boil. TURN THE HEAT OFF. Drop the vacuum bag into the water for 20 minutes. Pour the contents onto a plate and devour.

* In lieu of canned apples: buy five or six medium apples. Mix Granny Smith and Macintosh apples, or whatever you want.

Peel, core and quarter.

Pour water into a large pot and bring to a boil.

Add apples and return to a boil.

Reduce heat, cover and simmer until apples are tender, about 6 to 8 minutes.

Cool for 30 minutes.
beans.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky