Hocks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great looking Hocks !!  I see a pot of Beans in your future.

Points !!!

Gary

Wow. They look great.

I can't find good hocks here either.

Great looking Hocks !!  I see a pot of Beans in your future.

Points !!!

Gary
Gary They will make some nice bean soups,may even try baked beans with them.Thanks for the points I appreciate it

Richie

Richie those will be outstanding in nearly every type of colored beans . just throw one in the pot with the beans and water. You might want to add some extra salt just before serving. White beans, Cook the hock seperately, break it down when cooked, then add it to the white beans just before serving.

My mouth is watering now and I just finished a belgium waffle with fresh hot strawberry syrup and whipped cream. You know I am full and my mouth is watering!! LOL I must be a real pig!

Great looking Hocks Richie. In the south nearly all the grocery stores have smoked hocks in the meat section, but it takes two days to get 'em tender. Too long even for old dried beans.

Oh yeah, Its a great way to taste different smoke flavors also.

All those poor folks foods and so called soul food items are really the best stuff. BTW Backbones, Neckbones & Tails are all great cured and smoked or even just smoked also. A big pot of mustard greens with ears or neckbones or trotters, a pan of corn bread, and some smothered potatoes.... OMG that's comfort food! 

And only the folks that live up on the hill get the cured smoked jowls! 

Great job Richie.

Last edited:
Wow. They look great.

I can't find good hocks here either.
Adam I thought I hit the lottery when I seen them LOL if you have a price-rite store by you check them

Richie

Richie those will be outstanding in nearly every type of colored beans . just throw one in the pot with the beans and water. You might want to add some extra salt just before serving. White beans, Cook the hock seperately, break it down when cooked, then add it to the white beans just before serving.

My mouth is watering now and I just finished a belgium waffle with fresh hot strawberry syrup and whipped cream. You know I am full and my mouth is watering!! LOL I must be a real pig!

Great looking Hocks Richie. In the south nearly all the grocery stores have smoked hocks in the meat section, but it takes two days to get 'em tender. Too long even for old dried beans.

Oh yeah, Its a great way to taste different smoke flavors also.

All those poor folks foods and so called soul food items are really the best stuff. BTW Backbones, Neckbones & Tails are all great cured and smoked or even just smoked also. A big pot of mustard greens with ears or neckbones or trotters, a pan of corn bread, and some smothered potatoes.... OMG that's comfort food! 

And only the folks that live up on the hill get the cured smoked jowls! 

Great job Richie.
Kevin Thanks again I have smoked neckbones before,I'll try to remember to cook the hock before adding the beans

Richie

Beautiful pieces of piggie!

Hocks-n-Beans FTW!

And you'll actually get some meat off those, not just flavor.

Chile you guys have it made,all these goodies we don't have 
Richie
This may be true.
Down here, I can buy most all the assorted odd piggie parts fresh or smoked, ready for beans or whatever.
But it's a trade off, I have to my SiL in PA send me such delicacies as Scrapple and etc.

Beautiful pieces of piggie!

Hocks-n-Beans FTW!

And you'll actually get some meat off those, not just flavor.
Chile you guys have it made,all these goodies we don't have 
Richie
This may be true.
Down here, I can buy most all the assorted odd piggie parts fresh or smoked, ready for beans or whatever.
But it's a trade off, I have to my SiL in PA send me such delicacies as Scrapple and etc.
Chile we tried the Scrapple once,not to our taste.I seen snouts a week or so ago,ears we get at the Asian market

Richie

Being as I have never done Hocks,I am thinking half will be smoked to an IT of 165* F 

The other half will be spun spritzing every 20 minutes to get crispy skin

Richie
Don't worry about an IT, you gonna have to cook those hocks down to eat them anyway and I assume you'll freeze 'em till then also, correct? Be careful, hocks are too easy to over smoke because you can. I like my hocks cured and as raw as possible with the smoke flavor, they cook a lot faster in a pot of beans that way.
Kevin Thanks you were spot on not over cooking them.I used them in my home made Baked Beans

Richie

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/264539/prime-rib-homemade-baked-beans

Looks great, better than ANY "Ham" loosely termed, IMHO.

EXCELLENT cut of meat, gelatinous, I love them.

Sticky together fingers when you eat them.

I have purchased them cured and commercially smoked only, no fresh ones available here in the woods.

The commercial ready to eat ones that are not too low on the leg, often called shanks if higher,  pinkish, not that grey crap.

Not easy to find nice ones, usually oversalted and just plain ugly looking, and cut too low, nowhere near as meaty.

I just eat them like a Personal Size Ham.

Ya awesome.

Feet, or very close above feet, not so much at all, unless maybe for the Bean dishes... Marc

Last edited:

Looks great, better than ANY "Ham" loosely termed, IMHO.

EXCELLENT cut of meat, gelatinous, I love them.

Sticky together fingers when you eat them.

I have purchased them cured and commercially smoked only, no fresh ones available here in the woods.

The commercial ready to eat ones that are not too low on the leg, often called shanks if higher,  pinkish, not that grey crap.

Not easy to find nice ones, usually oversalted and just plain ugly looking, and cut too low, nowhere near as meaty.

I just eat them like a Personal Size Ham.

Ya awesome.

Feet, or very close above feet, not so much at all, unless maybe for the Bean dishes... Marc
Marc I never seen nice ones here,now 1 of the stores I go to has them almost always.

I used 2 in a pot of Tripe Menudo. gave a nice hint of smoke

Richie

Nice job Richie, I know I'm really late here but those hocks look awesome.
drool.gif
Was thinking about sending you an email,haven't seen you on and I have been busy.The Hocks are great compared to the skimpy things they have in the stores.Thanks for the points I appreciate it

Richie

Right or wrong, I still know these as "Shanks" , higher up leg from "Hock", that why they meaty.

Comparable cut, seems to me, as the Beef used for Osso Buco.     Marc
Marc I hear ya I just right what is on the label 

Made another pot of Osso Buco the other day with Beef

Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky