hillbilly43

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hillbilly43

Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
By way of introduction, I am an old Kentucky hillbilly who is in need of some knowledge on how to...... I have only smoked once and did not inhale (much smoke) from a new Masterbuilt 40 inch electric smoker just purchased from Sam's Club. I know almost nothing about how to turn out a tasty, smoked meat. Yesterday I tried to "cook" about 4 lbs of pork ribs and a beef butt in the above unit. After 5 to 7 hrs at 225 degrees, the unit seemed to do all the limited instructions in the manual predicted, and the meat was edible but nothing more. I used the hickory chips, and rubbed the meat as instructed before cooking. My conclusion is operator error. PS: I have read some of the threads in reference to the process herein and am in a slow learning curve. Would appreciate your expertise/ feedback. Thanks for the opportunity presented by all and hope I have not been too wordy in my first posting.

Welcome to the SMF my friend. Plenty of members who own a MES and they should be able to help you soon.

Where in Ky ? I'm from Louisville , now in Nashville. Welcome to SMF . i would suggest Jeff's 5 day course , it will answer a lot of questions for you.

Welcome hillbilly, keep the temp low 200 to 250 an smoke thin and blue. More later.You found the right site.

Welcome to the forum ... & Don't forget to mop. Gotta keep everything moist.

Welcome Hillbilly. Keep trying. Each smoke gets better. Experience is what ur after.

Welcome. I have a MES. As far as the ribs, Did you foil them to braise them? I usually run mine at 230-235 temp wise. My first Butt came out dry also; go figure. Keep workin at it!

I answered your PM and waiting to help you. You will be up and running at full speed after getting more details.

welcome hillbilly, you gonna get the hang of it in no time now that u found SMF.

Welcome to the Brood! Lotsa good folks who take pride in helping others make tasty foods. You will be turning out good Q in no time.

The 5 day course is a great start, and there is literally days worth of reading on these forums.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky