1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Hillbilly Spice Rack

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ultramag, Feb 18, 2007.

1. ultramag

ultramag SMF Events Planning Committee

I was fooling around the other day and took a couple pics of my fancy spice cabinet to share with ya'll. It is an old ammo box that rockets came in originally. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Legendary Pitmaster

Ultramag -

That's really cool! I love it

3. smoked

smoked Master of the Pit OTBS Member

oh man, that is awsome!!!! [​IMG]

4. Those McCormack spices are expensive compared to buying larger containers from say Costco or and maybe even BJ's or Sam's Club (not a member of these). I passed on getting some at Costco and stopped at a local supermarket closer to home, only to find the cost was very similar but the quantity I got was about 1/8th. Only problem is I'll need a HUGE spice cabinet!

5. ultramag

Agreed, I purchase bulk spices as well, they just don't fit in this particular cabinet. I knew I needed bulk spices the first time I made a quadruple batch of TulsaJeff's rib rub. I had 4 (I think) little grocery store bottles of paprika in it by the time I was done measuring. That's a little over $10 just in paprika for those keeping score at home. [​IMG]

I have a Costco membership and in fact have a trip planned there Monday. I still end up with lots of smaller ones. Things I don't use much of or run out of in between trips to the big town.

The Grill Mates seasonings were recently purchased on a 10 for $10 deal @ our local grocery store. I am big on the Roasted Garlic & Herb Grill Mates stuff on country style pork ribs on the grill. MmmmMmmm. [​IMG]

6. meowey

meowey Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That would look good in my kitchen!

LOL

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

7. cajun_1

cajun_1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

[​IMG] Awesome, Awesome, Awesome [​IMG]

8. Dutch

Dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member OTBS Admin SMF Premier Member

We saw a stack of these boxes for sale at the last Gun Show me and Mrs. D went to. She asked me "What on earth would somebody use an old rocket crate for". I said they would make a nice storage unit-just mount it on a wall. Well she gave me "that look" again and said "Yeah, right!"

Now I'll have to show her Meowey's nifty spice rack just to prove to her that sometimes, I DO KNOW what I'm talkin' about!! [​IMG]

9. cajunsmoker

cajunsmoker Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I like the spice arrangement Chad. Putting the cayenne, crushed red pepper and cajun seasonings on the bottom probably makes the box think it still has rockets in it.[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Rocket ammo like that can be truly explosive with the right mixture of spices.

11. tonto1117

tonto1117 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Very cool ultamag [​IMG] and extremley clever!!!! [​IMG]

12. chris_harper

chris_harper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

my kitchen has a built-in spice rack. there is a smallish door in the wall, open it and there is shelves. i put my spices in it, because it is dark in there with the door closed.

13. buzzard

buzzard Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

great idea and cool look. i wish i would of thought of it

i want to buy some, put smf on it and sell them

14. msmith

msmith Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Gotta hand it to buzzard cant blame a man for wanting to make a buck. Cool idea chad.

15. ultramag

I'm gonna need a cut Buzzard, you know, since I was your insperation and all. [​IMG]

16. mrgrumpy

mrgrumpy Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

NC
    That would be a cool idea in the trailer when going to a competition... and I can just imagine the looks I would get.

I love it....

I found that I too have found buying the small bottles got expensive, and have found a supplier on line that has some very good prices, and I don't have to drive 20 miles to save a few bucks.... And they ship super fast too. I got my order like in 3 days from ordering.....

Bill

17. Cool rack…where’s your juniper berries?[​IMG]

18. starsfaninco

starsfaninco Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I'm more interested in the rack on the back wall of the next room. Looks like my kinda house :)

I use surplus ammo boxes of all kinds for storage. They're cheap and with a little common sense, can be used for just about anything. Good work there UM!

19. ultramag

Good eye Stars, I didn't even notice they made the picture. [​IMG] Thats just a rack of .22's that didn't make the cut to get to live in the overflowing safe. They are 2 Remington 514 Single Shots, a Winchester 191 Deluxe, and a Marlin bolt I horse traded a coon hunting buddy for that has a fashioned floor plate therefore making it a Single shot bolt. He lost the magazine. [​IMG]

20. starsfaninco

starsfaninco Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

check yer pm Ultramag