High temp. silicone

Discussion in 'Fridge/Freezer Builds' started by benny8, Mar 31, 2010.

1. benny8

benny8 Newbie

Is High teperature silicone safe to seal holes inside the smoke chamber? If so what kind and where to find it? Thanks for any info.

2. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Yes you can find hightemp food grade silicone I picked some up localy for my smoke shack. I will have to check and see the brand name but they have it online.

3. irishteabear

irishteabear Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Restaurant supply stores will also carry it, just saw some yesterday in one.

4. mulepackin

mulepackin Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

The regular kitchen and bath caulk I use has a temp rating of around 600 deg. IIRC. If I exceed those temps I've got bigger concerns than my caulking. I use Dap or GE brand.

5. jirodriguez

jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I would try to find one that specifically says "food grade". The standard bath/kitchen stuff might have some nasty off gasing as it heats. Probably not enough to harm you, but why take the chance.

6. mossymo

mossymo Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Been using Rutland 500º RTV High Heat silicone sealant on smokers for many years.

[​IMG]

7. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That is where I found my high temp food grade stuff. I called every hardware store and they had no clue what I was talking about. I finally called a restaurant supply place and they didn't have it but they told me where they buy it in town. Some place I had never hear of before. They should either have some or know where to get some.

8. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

I would like to order some...any body got a site ?

9. mulepackin

mulepackin Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member