High temp cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbonham

Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if this is a must for summer sausage or will store baught cheddar will work fine

Both will work but you will get better results with high temp....... If you run into problems with high cooking temperatures you will have melt out with regular cheese

Joe knows, I will just add...Choose a high quality more aged cheese. The stuff in the fancy case not the generic blocks below the little bags of Shredded Mexican Blend and Pizza Cheese. The more aged it is, the firmer it will be, the more heat it can take and the sharper flavor will stand up better to the sausage seasonings. The cheap blocks, although they will usually work, have a higher moisture content and will melt into a loose mix at an IT above 100°F. Mix the meat well until it is very sticky. This gets a better protein bind that will completely encapsulate which ever cheese you choose...Well maybe not Velveeta...
icon_lol.gif
...JJ

Thanks I tried to use cheese wiz but I couldn't get the can in the grinder :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky