High heat grommets and first real cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rico334

Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
San Angelo Texas
First question is: I ordered off Ebay some silicon high heat grommets so that I can insert probes through them. They got here and I would need about 10 barrel thicknesses to hold them

snug in the hole. Does anyone have a link or source for high heat grommets that will fit perfectly for the thickness of these drums ?

Next, I did a chicken this morning as a practice run for doing a turkey in a couple of weeks for Thanksgiving. I had never heard the term "Brine" before but made up my own from salt, brown

sugar and water and brined the yard bird for 12 hours. Smoked it this morning @ 250* until the internal temp got to 165* and then pulled it, wrapped it and let it sit for about 30 minutes. OMG,

best, most juicy bird I have ever eaten.... Will never put another cut of meat in this thing without brining it first......

I go to Ace Hardware and buy their electrical rubber grommets.  They are about $0.55, fit perfectly and I have had no issues whatsoever with them being exposed to heat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky