High Heat Brisky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

helljack6

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 15, 2008
Lincoln, Nebraska
Well, I got a wild one this morning and decided it was time to do another cook at work so I picked up a 14.5 packer brisket and fired the UDS once I got to work and off we went.

Using the following technique:

"target of 325/345, foil somewhere between 2:20 and 2:40 into the cook.....do not use any liquid addition either....leave some space (maybe 1/2 inch) around the sides of the brisket and a bit of head space above so there is room for the exuded liquid. After foiling cook @ 350-375 until probe tender..." - taken from the Weber Vitural Bullet forums

I have done several of these and they always turn out great. Just didn't get it started when I wanted to by about 30 minutes so i'm hoping I can still push out by lunchtime, going to check in about 45 minutes for tenderness and hopefully it'll be where I want it to serve for lunch. Hopefully I'll get some pictures but won't get them posted until tomorrow due to working a way late shift tonight. More to follow!

I haven't tried to do one that quickly. It will be interesting to see some pics and let us know how it compares to low-n-slow.

Sounds like a plan.
smile.gif
Looking forward to the updates.

HA! Good point, Rick.

Ya know...I am kind of a traditionalist when it comes to Que (like only cooking on my offset with lump and wood...otherwise I might as well just use the oven)
but when it comes to "low and slow", I have bent my own rules a bit!
icon_mrgreen.gif

What I mean by that, is I tend to cook at a higher temp than what might be suggested by the majority.

I have found, that after exposing the meat - pork, any beef, etc. - to smoke for 2-3 hours and THEN always doing the foil technique - I can get tasty tender meat at much higher temps.

Last weekend - Baby backs: 260 - 270° using a 2 -.5 - 1 method (yes, only 30 min. in the foil) I ended up with the best tasting, most tender ribs I've ever done - from smoker to plate in 3.5 hours!

Good luck with the brisket, hope it turns some heads!

OMG, a full 14.5lb packer brisket done in 3 hours and 45 minutes!!! It was moist, juicy and the most tender brisket anyone's ate to date (I as the cook didin't get but maybe a sliver or two of it). It went, ALL of it, in under 10 minutes!!!

RECAP:
Started the UDS at 8am and immediately laid packer brisket already seasoned with Fatboy rub onto the grate. Left the lid off until the internal temp hit 200 (started with 15 ashed over Kingsford Original coals). Put the lid on and waited until the temp hit 350 on the dial therm, locked it in and walked away. Came back at 10:30 and foiled using a layer on the top and on the bottom crimping the edges and folding them over twice to retain exuded liquids (about 2.5 cups is what I ended up with). Put it back in the UDS and walked away. Came back at 11:30 and poked a hole in the top of the foil and used a Meat Therm to both Temp and test for tenderness. NOT paying attention to the temp, the probe slide in to the top of the flat about 1/4 inch with mild resistance. Put the lid back on and let it sit for another 10 minutes or so (internal temp when I glanced at the temp probe was 190+ as my therm only goes to 190). Smoked a cig and pulled off the UDS at 11:45, took the whole grate on top of a food tray right up to the kitchen. Let it rest for 15 minutes then unwrapped one end of the foil and drained the juices. Started cutting into it and it literally fell away like butter, and the knife wasn't as sharp as I wanted thinking I would need to have it sharper! Cut it all the way through the point and it WENT FAST. I literally had people standing in line just eatting and handing back an empty plate for more. I did in fact take pictures that I will upload tomorrow night after work since that will be the first time I have the chance.

Conclusion:
This being the first time i've done a high heat brisket in the UDS (not the first time for a HH brisky), this ROCKED, period! Further testiment that slow and low isn't the only way to go when you have a time line you're trying to adhere to. Sure beats long overnight cooks! Pictures to follow, Stay Tuned!!!!!!

What Rick said goes for me too.

I am leaning towards giving this a shot also...maybe I missed it but how did the smoke flavor come through along with the ring??? can't wait for pics

Honestly, I couldn't tell you about taste, as I only got a small sliver or two, but from what I DID have, it was incredible. The smoke ring penetrated beautifully, tho I probably don't have any shots of that because I took all "After the fact" shots, so the shots will be right after I unfoiled and then midway through slicing.

As we talked about in chat, If ya do it in a foil pan it will roast in its own juices. i think that's the same thing you are doing in the foil.
If ya get the smoke in it first then jack it up and let er roll.
the only difference was not in taste but only that there was not the bark like doing it w/o the pan.

There was a very interesting thread over on the Brethren about low 'n slow versus hot 'n fast awhile back.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=64858

And here's a thread from another forum where Bubba posted about doing a hot and fast brisket cook, albeit not quite as fast as this one

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3107

I think the main thing that I got out of these discussions was that it is not necessary to freak out if the smoker temp goes above 250°, 260°, or even (GASP) 270°. I used to spend so much time trying to keep the temps in a very tight range -- (235° to 250° for me but I didn't really like it if it was at 235° for very long) -- that smoking was becoming more stressful instead of relaxing. Now I set my Maverick ET-73 low and high alarms for 230° and 275° and if it ain't beeping, I don't worry about the temp. In fact, if it is an afternoon or daytime cook and I'm going to be outside anyway, I don't even use a digital. I just go by the dial thermos on the SnP or the one on the outside of the UDS. I don't purposely try to cook at higher temps but if it happens, I don't stress about it.

I did some ribs that for the last half of the cook were in the 280s. Didn't do it on purpose.
icon_redface.gif
The drum kind of sneaked away on me. I just paid attention to the "bend test" at the end and didn't worry about the chamber temp.

Those were some of the best ribs I have done to date. Now I wouldn't attribute it completely to the higher temp but I think it's possible to cook at higher temps and still get fantastic results. It sure is a lot more relaxing than fighting to keep a tight temp range.
biggrin.gif

Dave

That is usually my target but you know how those pesky drums can sneak away on you if you aren't careful.
biggrin.gif
Although now that I close the intakes for 3 minutes before and after lifting the lid, I can keep it pretty much under control.

On the SnP with the Afterburner it is so susceptible to the wind that the temp would drift sometimes depending on what the wind was doing. I'd turn the burner up to keep it around 240° then the wind would shift and it would drift up and I'd have a kitten and turn it down. Now I just let it cruise and it's much more relaxing.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky