Hickory smoked country sausage (completed)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boykjo

Renowned Sausage Maker
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Apr 28, 2010
Raleigh,NC
Got a 30 lb batch of country sausage in the fridge to cure. Going to fill tonight and smoke tomorrow. This will be the 1st batch of three. The second batch will be Apple wood smoked jalapeno,cheddar kielbasa and the third batch will be my signature apple wood smoked kielbasa. These batches will be traveling to Florida for the event.....

0d913402_HPIM1275.1.jpg

88d40fdb_HPIM1277.1.jpg

f2adf2bc_HPIM1278.1.jpg

e4954da4_HPIM1279.1.jpg

Thanx for looking

Looking good!!

Can't wait to try some!!

Craig

Man i wish i was there to help ya eat it up stuff and smoke it up 
77.gif

Great looking start.  Having great tools as  in  your grinder and motorized stuffer helps I bet ! 
thumb1%20copy.gif
You bet...30lbs is a small batch to me now. I can only cook 30lbs at a time though. When I have 60 lbs in the smoker its too bunched up and my stall takes forever so I only do 30 and keep the sausage apart so it cooks better

Man i wish i was there to help ya eat it up stuff and smoke it up 
77.gif

Thanks nepas.I can always use the help. No one is there to help but always there to eat. The only thing I dont like about making sausage is chunking/deboning the butts. For some reason I just hate doing that.....

well everything is stuffed and ready for the smoker. I get to try out my new modification on my smoker tomorrow. I added two a-maze-n-smokers. Cant wait to see the results.

ready for the stuffer

5e33f5f1_HPIM1280.1.jpg

Heres a mod i have to my cabelas stuffer. Stainless tube. came off of my home made stuffer I made years ago. It works out so much better than plastic. only had to reload once for 30 lbs

2d104e8a_HPIM1281.1.jpg

All stuffed up and in the fridge for tomorrow

d1d157a0_HPIM1283.1.jpg

here is the only thing I dont like about the cabelas 30lb stuffer. This is whats left when the ram is bottomed. I break out the 5 lber nt stuffer and finish up the last 3 lbs. You see what I use to empty the tubes. I have a piece of welding filler rod (left) and I break off a piece of paper towel and push out the meat. This is also used when cleaning the tubes. Towards the back is my little tub of butchers twine. I wrap the twine around the tub about 20 times, then slide it off and cut the ends and I have a bunch of ties.

a5c25982_HPIM1282.1.jpg

thanx for looking

Hey boykjo,

That's a mighty fine batch of sausage you got going there, what's country sausage, is it like breakfast sausage or completely different.

I'll be watchin' for the smoke.

Gene

hey gene, In the south here country sausage is sage sausage . Up north they would call it breakfast sausage. There is a lot of it around but to find that one good breakfast sausage. Its rare. I made it for the first time a few months ago and it turned out great. Every one said it was some of the best country sausage they had eaten.( go figure) I didn't write the recipe down being it was the first time so I am going by memory here. I did a fry test and it was good but a little spicy. about the normal hot sausage heat. I like sausage with just a touch of heat. I will cut the pepper flakes in half next time. What I look for in good sausage is flavor and within 10 minutes after eating it it doesn't stay with you

Oh yeah, I like breakfast sausage, I tried the Jimmie Dean clones, but found them lacking, then I found a breakfast sausage recipe on the web and tried it, cut the red pepper flakes in half for the Mrs and boy was it good.

Now I'm gonna pick your brain, what do you do or what ingredients do you use or not use to keep the sausage from 'staying with you longer than ten minutes'?  I have tried some sausage that I was still burping at lunch time, the flavor was good, but 6 hours later?

Thanks for any help.

Gene

Oh yeah, I like breakfast sausage, I tried the Jimmie Dean clones, but found them lacking, then I found a breakfast sausage recipe on the web and tried it, cut the red pepper flakes in half for the Mrs and boy was it good.

Now I'm gonna pick your brain, what do you do or what ingredients do you use or not use to keep the sausage from 'staying with you longer than ten minutes'?  I have tried some sausage that I was still burping at lunch time, the flavor was good, but 6 hours later?

Thanks for any help.

Gene
I sent you a PM

sausage is in the smoker. hang to dry for a hr. Start A-maze-n-smoker. for 1hr cold smoke then to 140
2ebd594d_HPIM1285.jpg

5e4b6ba6_HPIM1284.jpg

Looks good and I'll bet they'll come out awesome

Wow!!!

31 rings in there, with plenty of elbow room!

Do sausages have elbows???

Can't wait to see the final color---Gee I love that stuff!!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky