• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Hi to all

big jimmy

Joined Jan 3, 2007
Hi all,

I am from New Zealand and have been smoking meat for approx 12 months. Learning a lot, trying different stuff with some excellent results. I use a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker at this point but may invest in something bigger one day as I never seem to cook enough ribs!

cheech

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Dec 19, 2005
There you go learning again, we all learn that our smokers are never large enough. You just learned it earlier than most

big jimmy

Joined Jan 3, 2007
Hi Cheech,

I am interested in the type of fuel you guys use in USA. I can buy both lump and briquettes down here but it seems that lump burns to hot and fast and briquettes are the better option however I seem to get a chemical taste sometimes when using briquettes. Also, I dont seem to be able to get the temp over 200 even with all vents open. Maybe I should import a quantity of good fuel from USA!

cheech

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Dec 19, 2005
Well what I use is an electric model and my charcoal unit is a larger unit I really do not have an issue with temperature.

Maybe one of the others that uses your model can give some input here.

mohntr

Smoke Blower
OTBS Member
Joined Dec 24, 2006
Hey Big Jimmy - Welcome to the gathering place.

MoHntr

gunslinger

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 24, 2006
Welcome to SMF.
Check the "charcoal smoker" section for mods. If there's a problem with a smoker, it's been addressed here.
BTW. My smoker is plenty big. :)

ultramag

SMF Events Planning Committee
Joined Apr 17, 2006
Welcome to SMF Big Jimmy!!! Out of curiousity, how big of chore was it to get a WSM in New Zealand?

big jimmy

Joined Jan 3, 2007
Hi Ultramag,

Not too difficult but pretty expensive. Worth it though, very well made.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.