Hi Mountain Summer Sausage Kit - no refrigerating time?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

robbieh

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
HI all.  Been a lurker here for a while, decided to join in on the fun...plus I need some advice. lol

I have a Hi Mountain Summer Sausage kit and am going to make it tomorrow.  I've done this a couple of times before, but never on my own.

The directions say after stuffing the casings, refrigerate for 12-24 hours before cooking.

Is it okay to smoke them right after stuffing the casings?  Or will they come out bad?  I understand they won't have time to cure if I do this.  How will that affect the flavor/texture and is there anything I can do so they still come out good?

Thanks for any help.

HI all.  Been a lurker here for a while, decided to join in on the fun...plus I need some advice. lol

I have a Hi Mountain Summer Sausage kit and am going to make it tomorrow.  I've done this a couple of times before, but never on my own.

The directions say after stuffing the casings, refrigerate for 12-24 hours before cooking.

Is it okay to smoke them right after stuffing the casings?  Or will they come out bad?  I understand they won't have time to cure if I do this.  How will that affect the flavor/texture and is there anything I can do so they still come out good?

Thanks for any help.
When you mix the cure in it starts the process fairly quick. You can mix, stuff, smoke right away or do what they suggest. Your call.

Enjoy

Thank all for the quick replies.  So far, it seems like I could do either way.

nepas...you said you disagree with the fridge for the cure to work.  does this mean you have smoked right away and everything came out fine?

keep the opinions/advice/experiences coming!  thanks all.

I dont use HM

I disagree with the fridge for the cure to work
X2

I  mix-stuff-and smoke all in same day ALOT, does not need to go to fridge    Nepas has you covered.    But you can do overnight,   not for the cure thing but maybe more flavor if you are adding anything extra.  Good Luck

No need to go into the fridge overnite-If the weather is some what cool I will hang them in the smoker over nite with out or VERY little heat-just gives them time to dry a bit and set-flavors meld,how ever you wanna call it.

So me and some buddies got together yesterday and made the summer sausage.  We pretty much went right from stuffing the casings to smoking, and they came out great!  Not refrigerating them didnt seem to make a difference at all.

Still, it made me feel better about doing it that way knowing that some of you guys have done the same in the past.  So thanks again for your advice. I really appreciate it.

Glad they cam out good but you know what they say right??????
th_nopicsye3.gif

Darn...didn't think to take pics of the whole process.  Next time for sure!

Hey Smoking B, a little harsh calling this thread worthless.  Remember, I started this thread to ask for advice.  But, I liked your idea of posting a slice pic of the finished product.. it was time for a snack anyways 
icon_razz.gif

Anyone else hungry now?  So I used the Hi Mountain SS kit (original) and in a food processor I ground up 4 or 5 garlic pieces, about 1 tbls of crushed red pepper, some black pepper, 3 dried chili peppers and 1 dry chipotle pepper.  Added that to the kit (used the whole kit..made 30lbs).  Cooked as instructions said and everything came out great!  I would like to taste more of a kick, so next time I'll add maybe 2 more chili peppers and 1 more chipotle pepper.

Hey Smoking B, a little harsh calling this thread worthless.  Remember, I started this thread to ask for advice.  But, I liked your idea of posting a slice pic of the finished product.. it was time for a snack anyways 
icon_razz.gif
I don't think Smoking B was calling this thread "worthless" I think he was more just making a joke because he wanted to see some pictures. A lot of people use that emoticon just as a joke to try and solicit pictures.

icon_razz.gif
I posted that in jest - notice all the smiling faces holding the signs. I was not calling your thread worthless. Sorry if you took it that way...

Sausage looks like it came out great 
icon14.gif

Thanks for the feedback guys.  Smoking B - I probably jumped to the wrong conclusion back there.  I'm very new here and it's true - smiling emoticons are always good! LOL.  I missed that.  So I apologize.  No hard feelings man.  

Heck, I owe you a thanks.  Even that one pic makes this thread better.

I'm new to all of this - this was my first year hunting, my first time processing meat, making things and smoking them, as well as smoking other meats besides wild game.  All new.  Very cool stuff though!

Thanks again everyone for the compliments.

Thanks for the feedback guys.  Smoking B - I probably jumped to the wrong conclusion back there.  I'm very new here and it's true - smiling emoticons are always good! LOL.  I missed that.  So I apologize.  No hard feelings man.

Heck, I owe you a thanks.  Even that one pic makes this thread better.

I'm new to all of this - this was my first year hunting, my first time processing meat, making things and smoking them, as well as smoking other meats besides wild game.  All new.  Very cool stuff though!

Thanks again everyone for the compliments.
---     
beercheer.gif
       ---

Since you've done it successfully & experienced how good it is you'll be making all kinds of stuff. Now you need to smoke some cheese to go with your next sausage
biggrin.gif

Smoke cheese?  Now that's a new one!  Point me in the right direction!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky