Hi, just signed up here!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rivesjct

Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
SE Michigan
I was looking for bacon cure and smoke recipes to try at home and stumbled onto your site. I purchased a New Braunfels smoker (like new) for $20.00 at a moving sale last summer and it has been sitting covered since then. We recently had another hog butchered and had not been pleased with the flavor of the bacon we were getting back from the butcher. My husband told the butcher not to send the bacon out, give it to us fresh and we would smoke our own.

Last night, as an experiment, I took two chickens cut in half (we raise and process our own chickens), rubbed them with seasoned salt only, put them on the cold side of the grill, put cherry wood in foil on the other side of the grill with the fire underneath the wood. Well the chicken was great, I let it smoke for about 3 hrs (the wood caught fire near the end and cooked the chicken as well as breaking the glass in the grill). I applied a mixture of regular Kraft BBQ sauce, honey and Lea and Perrins, glazed the chicken with that. Best grilled chicken I ever made.

I have bacon curing in the refrigerator (TQ rubbed in) and plan to smoke it on Tuesday or Wednesday. Wish me luck, at least now I know to soak the wood before smoking, lol!

Welcome to the SMF. You might want to look into Jeff's esmoking 5 day course. It's chocked full of great info and it's free. So, again, welcome aboard and we look forward to your posts.

Welcome to our little slice of smokin heaven! Good luck with your bacon and all your future smokes!

welcome to smf riv!!!! glad to see the 20 dollar spaecial in use, read your comment about the fire and the cracked glass and soaking the chips....
did you have a drip pan below the chicken to catch the fat drippings??? i think that may have been your problem cause once drippings catch fire that is a high heat fire and prob why your glass cracked. i remember one of my first bbq attempts i did the same thing in my moms grill, burnt tha paint off it and cracked the glass ... as far as soaking wood that is a highly debatable subject which is often discussed and seems it goes both ways with no real advantage either way. bacon, you should play around with smoker and see how low a temp u can run. any questions lotsa people here who will try and help. ck out the free e course and the rub and sauce recipies are great if you are inclined to get them!!!! cant wait to see that bacon smoke qview!!!!!

Welcome to the forum! There are some good bacon smokers here that can give you pointers on that project.

Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. You'll find lots of great bacon info here along with lots of other info and recipes. Good luck with the bacon. Have fun and happy smoking

Welcome to the SMF family. Can't wait to see the bacon. YUMMMMMMMYYYYY.

Welcome to the world of smoke..glad to have you.anything you need to know can be found here..good luck with the bacon and don't forget the Q-View

Welcome aboard. Cracked glass...probably worth it for the chicken I suspect
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky