Hi, I'm poco tejas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poco tejas

Original poster
Dec 31, 2016
So you know who I am, I'm a retired detective for the Tulsa Police Dept. I'm also a rancher and, until I got old, a cowboy.

I took up grilling over fifty years ago and got heavily into sausage making over 25 years ago. Presently I have four smokers. My sausage smoker, home made from an old upright deep freeze, will do about 30# at a time. It's labor intensive because I have to keep close watch on my temps throughout the smoking process. 

I also have a vertical, offset firebox smoker for small jobs. I used it for Christmas this year to smoke a 13 lb wild turkey one of my grandsons harvested.

For big events, I have a rather large "pull behind my truck" smoker. I normally do five or six large events a year. To me "large" is between 40 and 125 guests.

My fourth smoker, 40" Masterbuilt w/bluetooth, is brand new. I just seasoned it and it will have it's maiden cook next week. I've also ordered the cold smoke attachment for it in hopes I can use it for smoked sausage; much easier than my odd freezer smoker.

I'm always happy to get new ideas and I don't mind sharing my little bit of knowledge.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky