Hi...from Oklahoma

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice!! Wow, do you have a sister...?
icon_mrgreen.gif

This is the homemade horizontal....That's about it, I appreciate the warm welcome and look forward to learning from you all.
horizontalcooker-copy-copy-copy.jpg

Vlap, The hot coals go in each end. Under the hams and shoulders. I start out with about 2 1/5lbs of charcoal on each end and just add about 10 coals to each end every hour.

Last edited:
looks like you got about 30 cinder blocks for it. Do you leave a space for the adding of coals. I did not see it in the photos. But likely if its there I was just drooling over that whole pig.

Thank you for the welcome DEER MEAT. The wood is some untreated lumber that I already had on hand...I had to buy new cement blocks for the project.

Vlap, I remove the block on each end to add coals........It's not very pretty, but hey, it works.
icon_smile.gif

4-12-06_1258-copy-copy.jpg

Sorry I missed this question Vlap.
I line the ground with foil, it helps channel any drippings away from the hot coals.
The coals go directly on the foil at each end.

Cowgirl I'm not trying to sound negative here.......But it looks like those are pine boards the smoke house is made of. I know that smokin with pine is a big no no, but i'm not sure about building a smoker out of pine.

If it is not pine then I am sorry for the post.
PDT_Armataz_01_09.gif

No problem DEER MEAT.
smile.gif

Pine is a no no for hot smoking, When the temperature of the smoke stays low as in cold smoking, it will not effect the finished product.

Have you ever watched Alton Brown smoke fish in a cardboard box?
I'd like to try that sometime.
biggrin.gif

Hey welcome to SMF. Looks like you are going to give these horndogs a run for their money.

*busts out the deliverance voice* You sure got a pretty.......uh....smoker.
PDT_Armataz_01_30.gif

Bullmastiff, thanks for the welcome and the laugh. LOL!

There is so much to read here, I know where I will be for the next week at least.

DEER MEAT, I'd like to try the flower pot smoker too.

Thank you bbq bubba.
smile.gif

I sure do appreciate all of the friendly welcomes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky