Hi from Nashville

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nashdrifter

Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
Wanted to say howdy to you all here at Smoking-Meat I have been charcoaling and smoking for many years but just recently got into it a little deeper. I ran across this site and have been really enjoying all the great info from you all. BTW I ordered Jeffs RUB and Sauce recipe. I have top say the ribs I smoked with his RUB turned out mighty tasty indeed.
I am using a old horizonal smoker I have had for many years,just lately I gave the old gal a new firebox grate,firebox damper,heat tuning plates,smoke stack extention,a few new wheels and a fresh coat of Hi Temp Paint. I am currently using a Maverick dual probe thermometer for my smoker temps and a Taylor digital for the meat. I have a couple of new themometers ordered for the smoker tho. I drilled 3 holes in the lid,placed rubber stoppers and drilled small holes into the stoppers so I can slide the probes into them and change them out for calibration and different placement often without any hassle.
Today I am smoking two Turkey breasts. I plan on cooking them around 240 until 170 internal temp. I used a little of Jeffs rub on them and injected them with a little sauce...(2cps real apple juice,1 stick unsalted butter,and 1 TS Jeffs rub) Figure to mop them every so often with the injection sauce as well.

Sorry for the ramble but thanks again to all who contribute all the great information here and to Jeff for this place and his Awesome RUB recipe. Here are a couple of pics using my cheesy cell phone.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Johnny B
eed7907c_vbattach22856.jpg

e9e2872c_vbattach22857.jpg

ffabc266_vbattach22858.jpg

First off welcome Johnny to SMF. You'll like it here cause there are abunch of good folks here that would just love to help you out with just about anything to do with smoking. We really like to have newbies here because they can bring in a new propective to how things are done. There's nothing like a new set of eyes to give and new way to make things that little differant to make things alittle better. So I hope you know about the Qview here.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=58920
Here's a link to photobucket it's free and easy to download pictures. Then if your really new to smoking Look up the E-course.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...play.php?f=127
It's also free and it will give you the basics of smoking. So after all of that you just need to go grab something to smoke and if you have any question just post them here and we will answer it quickly so you don't have any mishaps with your smoke.
Welcome To Your New Addiction

Hi Johnny! Welcome aboard!

That's a sweet 'ol horizontal...looks heavier than a WWII Tank for it's size!

Don't sweat the rambling...we like to know about the members here so we can share better info with you, and you with us. We're all each other's mentor's here, so don't be afraid to offer tips, etc.

Glad you joined up, you'll be a great addition to the family!

Eric

Hello Johnnie
Welcome to SMF - glad to have you with us. Turkey is looking good

Welcome Johnnie, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For Those of you New to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.
Click Here it's "FREE"... 5 Day eCourse

Everyone here enjoys seeing the Qview so be sure to post plenty of pics...

Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.

When you uploading to Photobucket I always use the Large IMG setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...

How to post Qview to Forum:

For Step By Step Instructions On Posting Qview Check Out This Tutorial

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=82034

Thanks for the kind welcomes. Here is my old smoker.

Heres the firebox mod....

Heres the Turkey Breasts getting placed in the smoker...

And here they are getting ready to come out!

I'l post another later when I slice'em up.

Ok heres the obligatory slice and dice pics.....these taste wonderful,you can really taste the apple juice.

Thanks Paul I like them too,it makes it so much easier to push the smoker around the yard and garage with these. I was lucky enough to find them on sale for $5 apiece at Ace. Gotta love a bargain!
I used alot of the ideas from here and a few other places to modify the smoker,it has made it alot easier to turn out good food now. I used to have to tend to it constantly swapping the meat around left and right.The heat sheild and tuning plates make it where I can maintain near even temps at both sides now. A helluva lot funner now!
NASH

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky