Hi from Fort Lauderdale

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

n5867l

Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Hi,

I'm a new member and very excited to be part of the group. I have a SmokinTex electric smoker, have used several smokers before but this one is really great. I've done brisket, tri-tip roast, kielbasa that my butcher makes, turkey, oysters, cheese (it has a cold plate), onions, and I'm looking forward to smoking everything I can get my hands on (my parrots are worried)...my butcher called today and is GIVING me a fresh ham and a fresh shoulder, so I could use some advice on brine and wood...never did a fresh ham.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and when I invent something exciting, I'll spread the news. I have a couple of smoking books, but experience is usually more valuable than books.

Thanks, Cissy
icon_twisted.gif

Thanks, and I see you are an animal lover, too!

Welcome to the SMF! I am rather new... but have done about 4 hams since Thanksgiving.
I have found that using Cherry wood works well. See if you can find the big chunks somewhere, they last much longer.

As for a brine, there are some great brine receipes here on the forum.
For the ham, make sure to subsitute Brown Sugar, that is what I have been doing.

Have fun!

Welcome to the SMF, you're going to do just fine here. Your got lucky with your butcher, be sure and let him know in some way, that it was great.

Welcome to SMF... Use the search tool and look for some info.. Someone just did a ham not too long ago..
There is a TON on info on the site..

Welcome to the SMF!! I had some great times on Davey Blvd!!!! Is the Rustic Crustic Discustic Inn (Rustic Inn) still around??? hahaha I miss the Fla party days!! Great fishin' just off shore!! close to the stream!!! You'll love this place... got quite a few floridians here too.... caught some great snook in some of the canals there!!

Lotta folks do precooked hams here, not many do FRESH hams. IMHO the ONLY wood to smoke a ham with is hickory.
Good luck with it and post pics!

Welcome to the SMF. I have the Smokin tex 1300. I really like it. Still want to get the cold plate. Lots of good folks and more information than you woukd believe. Lets see some pic of the the ham in smoke

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky