Hi all again,

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

larrym

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Halfway up mountain in Tn
Its been a crazy year so far, dont think I have logged on in months. We have had a family loss and I just finished hernia surgery, on my 2nd week recovery now, all is well once I can beat the infection.  Wife needs a lot of extra attention so thought I would do a smoked pork butt for her while I am bored at home.  I cant do any qviews at the moment, dont have a camera left at home and cell phone just isnt good enough.

I am going to start with a Tyson 9.5# pork butt from Walmart.  It actually looks pretty good and well trimmed,, I didnt have to do any extra cutting.

I am going to go with 2 cups of Kosher salt and 1 gallon water for brine.  I have a quart of pulp apple juice which I have simmering on stove to reduce.  I added 1 tbs of rosemary, 1 tsp of thyme, 1 tsp of garlic and 1 tsp of jerk spices.  Once reduced and cool,, will add to the brine and let it sit for 24 hours. 

Will use the amnps with some cherry and oak pellets, maverick to monitor, in my old analog MES.  Maybe after everything settles,, will get camera back and take a qview before n after smoke. 

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the weather.  Happy smoking

Larry

Dang Larry Im sorry to hear about the rough time you have had. Glad that you are on the mend. Cant wait to see the qview.

QView, first smoke of the new year.  I had preheated MES 30 Analog to 225, let is run for about 30 mins to stabilize.  Tossed in the AMNPS with oak/cherry mix and let it go for 20 mins.  Wanted to make sure everything was running as it should.  Tossed in the 9.5# pork butt with foil pan under it (first time I have tried it this way, normally butt sits in pan), I want to catch all the juices and make a good finishing sauce.  Temp when I closed door was 43 for meat, 156 for MES.  1 hour in,, temp is up to 70 / 212.  I should be fine with the 4 hour danger zone if it keeps going as it is.  I love seeing the TBS from the AMNPS with my old unit,, works like a charm after I did the mod on it.  Plenty of air in and out.

76e981e0_1stsmoke-2012.jpg

Man, Larry , don't go and get septic on us , we want you around. I see you found the camera, good looking Butt.

Hurry and mend , Spring is already here.There's Q to do , all Summer.

Have fun and...

Wont go septic,, am eating antibiotics like candy so I can go back to work Monday :) I am not at retirement age and just sitting round the house is driving me crazy :) 

4 hours in,, temps at 260 / 148,, am past the danger zone.  I think in my old MES,, the amnps does mess with the temps, thermostat hasnt changed any settings.  Now to just sit n watch till about 3am or so.  Wife might get some good stuff to take for lunch when she gets up at 5 :)

Here it is, straight from the smoker,, temps hit IT of 197 so I pulled it.  9.5# took me about 18 hours.

0356bd09_Fresh-PP.jpg

pic seems to have rotated on me. Oh well still looks good.  I am very happily surprised to see the best bark I have ever gotten on it, I dont normally get a bark like this with the MES.  Here is the rub that I used and I think my substitution of Splenda for brown sugar may have helped.

1/2 cup of Brown Sugar (substituted with 1/4 cup of splenda)

1/4 cup Paprika

1 tbs black pepper

1 tbs salt (kosher)

1 tbs chili powder

1 tbs garlic powder

1 tbs onion powder

1 tps cayenne

1 tps ground coriander

Will take another QView after it rests in cooler for 2 hours.  Bark is sweet n crunchy but not burned,, yummy :)  Ohh n sorry for fuzzy picture, sleepy and I was drooling so much, couldnt hold camera still.  What a beautiful smell :)

Last edited:
Final QView.  Bone came out nice n easy, little bit of fat stuck to it but no meat.  Oh man I love the chewy bark.  I have to mark this as a good run.  Bagging some up now to take to wife for her lunch plus an extra baggie for her boss who has been begging for more :)

7e1aeef5_Bone.jpg

7bbe662c_Final-pull.jpg

Lunch delivered :)  2#'s of pp, bread, sweet baby ray bbq sauce, plates, forks.  I even threw in a small bag of bark, in case boss likes those chewy bits as much as I do.  I will say that I got a big hug n kiss when I showed up at her office door :)  Side note,, bet I didnt get 1/4 cup of juice in the drip pan, no chance to use in finishing sauce.  Total weight of pp from 9.5# was 6.3#  not sure where rest of it went,, promise I didnt snack on it all night :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky