Hey, SmokeyMose!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hillbilly jim

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
Floyd, VA
I got a hole saw story for ya'!

About 40,000 years ago when I was a green helper, my journeyman put me on a plywood deck with a 4,5/8" hole saw and one o' them big ol' Milwaulkee hole hogs. I got down on my knees and got that hole hog locked in good and tight between my legs. When the pilot broke through, that hole saw bit and hung up.

I went eight seconds on Fu Man Chu!

I did pretty much the same thing with a concrete bore cutter. I rented one to cut a hole thru the cement foundation in my crawl space under the house to run a line out from the sump pump. The only one they had was a heavy duty stand mounted model. There wasn't enough room to use the stand so I figured what the heck I can just hold it like Stallone holding a Ma Duce.

Well....when it bit and locked up in the wall, it was like hanging onto a tornado. I was pretty sure my arm was about to look like a pretzel, but I finally managed to let go.

I'm here to tell you it didn't take me long to return that and cut thru the 2x6 above the cement.

Gary

Last edited:
Did you guys ever try to groove a 4-6" pipe with a rigid 300 and a drive shaft? If that sucker ever locks down, there are legs going everywhere, not to mention the pipe (that I have seen stand on its end). Tip: always have someone stationed on the plug to jerk it apart.

Pull up a chair, crack a beer, and watch a pole hole digger run out of gas while the auger is rammed in Arizona caliche..

Did you guys ever try to groove a 4-6" pipe with a rigid 300 and a drive shaft? If that sucker ever locks down, there are legs going everywhere, not to mention the pipe (that I have seen stand on its end). Tip: always have someone stationed on the plug to jerk it apart.
Ha! Been there, done that an' got the bloody T shirt!

I was threading 2 inch black pipe in a 300 and had the other end of a full stick on the tripod. Took a 'smoke & Coke' break, came back and lit the machine. Somebody had hooked the chain on the tripod and cranked it down.

That six legged monstrosity chased me all over hell and half of Georgia before somebody yanked the cord.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky