Hey Pandemonium, I got greyed out on your chemical question, here's a response

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nwdave

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
and another thing how come its ok to use an old kerosene tank like that for a smoker but everyone frowns on a uds drum that had chemicals in it?  

Look up the MSDS (google) on the chemical that use to be in the drum.  In the refinery I use to work in, Acetone was quite common in those neat 55 gallon drums.  Here's the MSDS, section 3 for Acetone.

Section 3: Hazards Identification

Potential Acute Health Effects:

Hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant), of eye contact (irritant), of ingestion, of inhalation. Slightly hazardous in case of

skin contact (permeator).

Potential Chronic Health Effects:

CARCINOGENIC EFFECTS: A4 (Not classifiable for human or animal.) by ACGIH. MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Not available.

TERATOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY: Classified Reproductive system/toxin/female,

Reproductive system/toxin/male [SUSPECTED]. The substance is toxic to central nervous system (CNS). The substance may

be toxic to kidneys, the reproductive system, liver, skin. Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target

organs damage.  

As you can see, it's not something you'd like to use with your smoker.

Just as we don't use old pallets for wood, due to not knowing what it's previous usage was (toxic chemicals, sewage treatment plant, I think you get the idea), unless you can see the name of the product stenciled on the side of the drum and then look up the MSDS, I'd stay far, far away.  But then, that's just me.  Let's face it, after working too many years in an oil refinery, you tend to get v-e-r-y cautious because there's so many things, like imaginary rattlesnakes, waiting to reach out and ruin your day.

ya the grey thing sucks you just have to keep hitting refresh and it will work.

i guess what im asking is that the tank builds were always from a used tank that held some kind of chemical so it must be able to remove the threat?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky