Hey Ooooo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

enterprise

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Eastern NE
Newbrie in Nebraska to these parts. Got a SWEET opportunity to learn how to use a smoker. Boss acquired this smoker and needs some help so I naturally saw this as a great opportunity to learn how to use it. I would appreciate some ideas on seasoning the smoker and proper techiniques on using it. Here is a link to some pictures of it.
http://s669.photobucket.com/albums/v...view=slideshow

And remember what Uncle Ted always says..

" You can't grill it until you kill it"

Welcome to the forum. Someone will be along shortly who knows about stick burners to help you out with your seasoning of the new smoker. Glad to have you aboard.

Welcome to SMF; nice smoker you all acquired! I'd take a wire brush to the grates to get as much loose rust off as I can. Slather some lard of the grates then warm 'em up in the smoker. All the while keep a foil pan with lard in it heated in the fire box to deposit a thin layer of grease throughout the smoker. Slather the grates a time or two more then, if possible, wipe the grates conservatively with an old cotton t-shirt or lint free cloth. Never clean the grates after smoking - only right before each smoke. Oh, if it's got new paint, make sure you give it a good burn-in before you do the above steps.

This stuff works for me; it should not only season your smoker but KEEP it seasoned.

Tom

Welcome to SMF. Glad you joined us. Take the time and read the great info available. Feel free to ask questions. You'll be turning out great smoked food in no time.
smile.gif

Glad that you've found the SMF to be helpful, and thanks for joining our friendly membership.

welcome!

where in Nebraska is Orum? I'm in the Grand Island/ Hastings area. Nice looking smoker you get to play with!

Orum is wide spot in the road in Washington County. I'm in the process of getting some property near there that is why I put that down. I'm actually from Omaha.

AS the others are saying.... welcome!

Looks like you are on the right track...

Don

I would like to thank all of you for the helpfull information given and the links to previous threeads. Lots of good stuff out there to sift through. I would like to share my game plan with all you and see if I'm on the right track. First clean any loose rust or debris from the cooking chamber of the smoker. next spray down the inside of the cooking chamber with some sort of cooking oil or lard to help season the inside. Start a fire in the firebox with lump charcoal and get the temperature up to about 350 for about 3-4 hours and then take it down to 200-250 to see how well the smoker holds heat and how the heat is distibuted inside. Once it is seasoned experiment with it finding out how it cooks various meats and times. If I have missed something could you please give me a hollar I would greatly appreciate it. All in all it sounds like another beautiful way to sit around and enjoy more beer
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Thanks again for all the advise

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky