Hey Kids! It's BD's Smoked Turkey Time!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bdskelly

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 3, 2013
DFW North Texas
It' been a while since I've tossed a turkey on the grate. And tomorrow the kids are coming over to celebrate BD's Birthday. Dad will grill burgers on the GWK while the fam takes a swim. But I thought it would be nice to have a smoked turkey as well. 

So I picked up a fresh 15 pounder today. A little butter and Creole seasoning under the skin and then a good dusting on the outside. I like to stuff the cavity with citrus.  I'll inject the bird in the morning with Creole Butter and toss it on the grate at 240. 

More later!

Brian

Last edited:
At 7am I injected the bird with creole butter and plopped it on the grate at 240 degrees.  The Amazin Pellet Burner is half full with Pit Master Choice Blend.  The Maverick has a watchful eye on the breast temp and the smoker temp.  I'm looking for a breasts  temperature of 165 degrees. 

This is looking terrific. I do hate you though as you don't look near 55. It must be the clean living.

Please keep the pictures coming.

Disco

At 7am I injected the bird with creole butter and plopped it on the grate at 240 degrees.  
Now that you've used that pistol injector a few times, what do you think about it?  Ease of use? Hard to clean? Squirts fluid everywhere? Control problems? Needle gauge to large/small? Needle plugs up? etc etc.....

Inquiring minds want to know.

PS.... don't forget that check in the mail to AARP <Chuckles>

Last edited:

That should be good Brian. It is hard to go wrong with a smoked turkey. Keep the pics coming.

Happy smoken.

David
David!  Long time no see. Thanks for stopping by.  By the way. The old girl made best in class a few weeks back.  Nice to see she still has it! Hope yours is doing well. 

b

This is looking terrific. I do hate you though as you don't look near 55. It must be the clean living.

Please keep the pictures coming.

Disco
HA!  My friend its not the year model as much as the miles.  And Kevin back back me up that I am very very HIGH mileage. 

Now that you've used that pistol injector a few times, what do you think about it?  Ease of use? Hard to clean? Squirts fluid everywhere? Control problems? Needle gauge to large/small? Needle plugs up? etc etc.....

Inquiring minds want to know.

PS.... don't forget that check in the mail to AARP <Chuckles>
You know me Kev... Anything that works like a pistol comes second nature to me. LMAO  So yes! I like it a lot. No plug up and its adjustable. Go to the national chain farm supply and pick one up. Around $20 bucks. They are used for inoculating livestock.   Clean up is a jiffy and the needles are cheap  I toss mine after I use them. Use size  16G

The AARP and I presently have different points of view.  I'll leave it at that  LOL

There is a lot I could say right now....  But a picture is worth 1000 words.  
It is 12:30 and we are presently at an internal temp of the breast of.. 145 degrees ​

Last edited:
BONUS Q VIEW!!!!!!!!!!

BD's Homemade Brats on the side Burner in my trusty Dutch. ...Beer Butter and Onions!  Its MY Birthday and I can do what I want!!!  LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: foamheart
Looks great Brian, you all ate good today ! I got to smoke on my B-Day too on the fourth & some folks were saying they felt guilty that I was smokin on my B-Day.... I was like, ya kiddin me.... I love this stuff.... Give me my smoker, somethin to put in the TBS & a couple cold ones = A happy me ! :biggrin:
Again, nice smoke man !

Looks very good and Happy B-day also!
Looks-Great.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky