Hey from the midwest

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

halfabrotha

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Omaha, NE
Hey,

My names Jason and I live near Omaha, NE with my wife and three kids.  I’m a systems engineer for an internet company.  Between family, work, church, and going back to school I am VERY busy.  My motorcycle and playing the occasional video game keep me sane…. mostly.

I’m new to the forum (duh) and still pretty “green” when it comes to smoking.   I’ve got the most experience smoking turkey since I do a couple of them for Thanksgiving just about every year.  I’ve also smoked a few chickens, pork ribs (awesome), beef ribs (terrible), and a brisket or two.  I’m partial to a mix of charcoal and (light smoke)  wood logs.   Most smokes I use apple wood, love that aroma and flavor.

Currently I have a rusted out brinkman offset.  I actually got it free from my father, who got it for mowing some older folk’s lawn.   He brought it over 8 or 9 years ago for a BBQ at my house and never took it back home since he had a gas grill and really isn’t into cooking/bbqing.

Current rig is a mess because I did not take care of it.   I’m to the point that I either need to actually sink some money into it (and start taking care of it) OR buy something new (and taking care of it).  This is how I landed on SMF. 

I’m leaning towards buying something new and modifying it because fixing the current one AND modifying it is going to cost me a lot of time.   I’m thinking I might pick up an Oklahoma Joe’s since it is a step up from the thin metal cheapo brinkman’s but not going to break the bank (just bought a second motorcycle so wife would kill me).  From what I’ve read so far it sounds like with a few mods the Oklahoma Joe could be pretty awesome for an amateur like me.

So I’m totally going to be trolling this place!  If you have any thoughts or suggestions let me know.

Welcome Jason....
welcome1.gif
....Lots of knowledgeable people on this site to answer any questions when you have them. I personally have honed my skills from only being here a short time...Some great folks here....Glad you decided to join our group...
grilling_smilie.gif

welcome1.gif
 to SMF . You have come to the right place for smoking info. This site is loaded with great info just use the search bar at top of page to find what you are looking for. If you can't locate the answer just ask folks here are willing to share there knowledge. Check out  the 5 day e-course on smoking its chuck full of great info, and may help ya out. Smoking  5-Day e-Course  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky