Hey All! Newbie from North Central Wisconsin!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrsmik

Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
Abbotsford, WI
Hey all! My name is Julie and I live in North Central Wisconsin. My husband and I own our own RV Parts, Supplies & Accessories store that we opened five years ago and I also drive school bus part-time!

I LOVE to cook outside in my cast iron Dutch Ovens, and would rather cook in cast iron than anything else! We also love to camp/RV -- that's our rig in my avatar -- and camp as often as possible during the "season," such as it is here in the middle of nowhere!

I've decided that it's time for me to learn how to do some smoking and sausage making! I'm hopeful that my kids will bring home a couple deer in the next ten days so that we can make some awesome venison sausage, among other things! For now, while I'm waiting for the deer, I decided to try my hand at some jerky!

Here's the smoker I just put together today:

13934_1310819610482_1230371007_30921635_750180_n.jpg

13934_1310820490504_1230371007_30921636_1879597_n.jpg

My husband worked for many years as Superintendent of the smokehouse operations at Klement's Sausage in Milwaukee, but he's never made "small" batches in a home smoker. He DOES know just about everything I need to know about making sausage, and we have our own supplier of casings and seasonings from our store, so I'm not worried about those items.

I'm going to be asking a LOT of questions here, as I don't know the first thing about using a smoker! LOL

Hope ya'all don't mind!

Julie

Welcome aboard Julie. I lived in Minocqua and had a restaurant on lake Minocqua.

That new smoker is way to clean. Now, go get it dirty.
icon_cool.gif

Welcome, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For Those of you New to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.
Click Here it's "FREE"... 5 Day eCourse

Everyone here enjoys seeing the Qview so be sure to post plenty of pics...

Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.

When you uploading to Photobucket I always use the Large IMG setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...

How to post Qview to Forum:

For Step By Step Instructions On Posting Qview Check Out This Tutorial

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=82034

Welcome Julie, just saw you posted a question about jerky in another section, I'm sure some of the jerky experts will be able to give you lots of help.
Any questions please. ask away. Someone will always be around and more than happy to help.

WOW! You guys are QUICK!
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome!

RonP -- Thanks! We are originally from Milwaukee, having moved up here six years ago. Dad was from the area and we have lots of relatives in the Wausau area. It's awesome to live in the country and see cows grazing out my kitchen window! Where are you now?

Beer-B-Q -- Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to have my images a little bigger next time! I'm going to check out that five-day course, too! Sounds like a good lesson!

Fire It Up -- Thanks! I appreciate the willingness to help out a newbie!

Mr Mac -- Thanks!

Julie

Julie, I left Wi in 89 and moved to Utah for 10 years, then moved here to New mexico in 97.

Welcome to the forum, Julie! Haven't heard from you in a long time since I don't frequent the RV forum too much any more. You got the right smoker and found the right forum to learn on. Glad to have you aboard.

Hi Julie, you will be able to learn all you want to know here!! I live down by Wi. Dells... I actually live in Reedsburg. Welcome!!! and have fun smoking.

Blza

Hello Julie, welcome aboard! Glad you joined our little family. Congrats on the new Smokevault. That's a good rig, you'll have good luck with it.

Welcome from a fellow Wisconsinite and newbie. Good luck on that Sausage, hope your Family's hunt is better than mine (skunked this year
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif
).

First off welcome to SMF. You'll like it here cause there are abunch of good folks here that would just love to help you out with just about anything to do with smoking. We really like to have newbies here because they can bring in a new propective to how things are done. There's nothing like a new set of eyes to give and new way to make things that little differant to make things alittle better. So I hope you know about the Qview here.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=58920
Here's a link to photobucket it's free and easy to download pictures. Then if your really new to smoking Look up the E-course.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...play.php?f=127
It's also free and it will give you the basics of smoking. So after all of that you just need to go grab something to smoke and if you have any question just post them here and we will answer it quickly so you don't have any mishaps with your smoke.
Welcome To Your New Addiction

Hey, GaryT! We're practically neighbors! We're just east of Abbotsford on Highway 29!

mballi3011 -- You're RIGHT! I'm ALREADY addicted! The jerky I made turned out AWESOME! So good in fact, that my jaw is acting up from my TMJ! LOL I'll have to be careful how often I make that stuff! My youngest offered to buy $100 worth of roasts for Christmas so I can make jerky! LOL I'm going to be looking over the forum tonight, because I'm doing RIBS tomorrow for my cousin and her boyfriend! My husband just rolled his eyes at me! LOL

To everyone else, THANKS! I can't wait to get more involved in this!

Julie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky