Here's what I'm smokin' today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

luv2camp35

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Powder Springs, GA
First time with my newly modified Brinkmann Vertical. Been doing test runs with it empty and told the wife I had to do some meat.

Sorry for the glare on the pic....sun was shining off in the east.

Got a pork shoulder on top and a chicken on the bottom. Both are surrounded by some country style ribs that the market had pre-seasoned. They were marked down so thought what the heck. Shoulder and chicken was 99 cents a pound. I may have 3 bucks in the ribs.

Need another remote therm as well. Using my turkey fryer therm as a backup to the stock therm. Believe it or not the stock one seems to be fairly accurate. I ran a test yesterday with digi, door and turkey therm and they were all within 10 degrees of each other.

Will post Qview of finished product later.

Looks like a plan is comming together nicely! Keep the views comming!

What time should I show up to eat? It all looks great.

Looking good! Can't wait for the finished product!
biggrin.gif

You really can't cook by time. You must go by temp. I will let them hit 185 internal temp. These are boneless so can't go by the "meat pulling from bone" method.

I you want to provide me with an e-mail address I can send you a fantastic Time and Temp chart that another member put together.

I will send you a PM (private message) and you can give me an e-mail address if you want this.

Looks good nice variety keep us updated

YUMMMMYYYYY!!!!!!!!

These started at 10Eastern and were at temp by 1:15.

Chicken is at 158 internal....got another 12 degrees to go.
biggrin.gif

Pork is at 129....got forever before she is ready.
icon_sad.gif

I gotta say that I have to brag on myself with how this mod has worked out. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=15887
It is rather breezy here today and one of my major concerns was flame blowout. Since the side burner is a low pressure flame I was worried that I would have issues with the flame going out. I can hear it from time to time but have not had to relight once. I have some fantastic TBS (next to invisible). Temp is staying right at the 240 mark.

Will post Qview of yardbird next.

One of the downsides of using fuel you can see......ya don't know exactly how much you have....need I say more???? I have a LPG tank gauge but it is in storage 300 miles away at the moment.

Ran out with the bird at 169 and the pork at 157. Both are now sitting in the oven to finish up. Chicken is probably done but I take no chances with poultry or pork.

This should not affect my outcome as they were "sitting in smoke" for almost 5 hours.

Qview will be up soon.

ah yea exactly the reason I went and filled a back up tank yesterday I hate running out of gas at least it was at the end of your smoke so finishing in the oven is no problem

It had to sit in the oven for about 20 minutes.

It is rather tasty as well. Wife asked me how I got the sweetish taste on the skin. I never would have thought about spritzing with apple juice if it had not been for this site.

The pork seems to have hit the dreaded plateau at 159.

looking real good-and what was Ron thinking(what TIME should I show up)don't let Dude see that!-camp what TEMP should I show up at? lol-your doing great.

Before pulling

After pulling

I am disappointed that I had to finish up in the oven. Really wanted to get a good bark and smoke ring going.

But the taste is what we are going for anyway...and it is good. As you can see by the first Qview it had plenty of juices.

Guess I will have to eat my mistake and try again soon!!!
icon_smile.gif

Next week will be ribs. My wife drives right by Swaggerty's Sausage Co. on the way home from work. Ribs so fresh...you hear the squeal...and the guy hands you some still warm ribs...if you know what I mean. And they are priced anywhere from $1.49 to $1.59 per pound.

I finish mine in the oven all the time. I figure that after they are foiled, I'm just wasting fuel and wood chunks by keeping the smoker going.

Nice looking smoke!

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky