Here we go.........

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stann

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 7, 2015
Cowboy Country
First turkey on the BGE.  Got a 22 pounder that has been in the brine for a few hours now.  The plan is get it in the egg around 12:30-1:00 tomorrow morning.  I'm going to shoot for a cook temp 275-300.  That should give me a pretty decent window for having a good done bird for a noon sit down lunch.  NO PRESSURE!!!!

If you can get to 325, the skin n will be crisper. With your time frame you will be more than fine. At 325 that bird would be done in 4-5 hours not including the 30-45 min rest.

Yea, I might do that.  Get up and put in on about 3:30-4:00 and turn the temp up a bit.  That sounds like a better plan.  I just want to make sure that big sucker gets done!

Sorry, no pictures or anything, but the turkey turned out to be incredible!  A  22 pounder and the cook was 4 hours on the nose at a 325 degree cook temp.  A little quicker than I was anticipating, but everything worked out perfectly.  The smoke on the bird was spot on with a nice, crispy skin that was bite through.  The skin sealed in the juice and flavor just like it was supposed to.  I was really pleased with my first go at a smoked turkey.  I will not be as reluctant the next time and I will, for sure, not get up quite so early for a 4 hour cook.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky