Here we go - first time w/ ongoing Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newb

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
Well folks, here we go. It's a windy 30 degree 3am in NW Iowa but time to get the first one on.

Brined and Rubbed (3/10/08):

Vac Sealed up and resting comfortably(3/10/08):

Little sleepy eyed whoopsie(3/12/08):

Tossed in the smoker:

Roughly 2 hrs into smoke...Didn't have much smoke so I tossed out old chips added new and hit with a torch to get em going faster:

Yeah, but I don't think the better half would like it so much so other than destroying the picture, nobody is the wiser :)

Dom - Your right. I'm trying for thin and blue, but I wasn't getting anything. when I dumped the chips there were not even getting dark. Strange.

Just a dumb question, but why don't you want the smoke to bellow?

Anyhow, I can smell it now and seems to be going so I tossed in a plain jane fatty (nothing added) to see how that goes.

Lookin good! Like the idea of the clothes pins holdin the probe! Ya need to put ya a watertight fittin on the side of that box to run your probes through, will keep from damaging them in the door though.

Better get that whoops cleaned up before mamma see's it! Good luck!

good looken start did the beer have anything ta do with the ooooppppppppppsssssssss
icon_smile.gif

I would consider myself a die-hard beer drinker, but not at 3AM. I do have limits so I waited till 3:15....

I had them rubbed down on Thursday and then vac sealed until I opened it this AM.

Side note -
Butt at 146
Fatty at 150

Could anyone please enlighten me as to why thick bellowing smoke is not what you want?

lookin good, as far as the smoke i only been around here a cupple months and i always thot that smoker had to be pushin smoke i cud see a mile away too. but from what i have pieced to gether you want smoke that is thin and blue, maybe not even see it at times, if yu can smell it it there. the heavy smoke has alot of crosote which causes off flavor to meat, i have tasted it and they rite about it. some one will correct me if i wrong(please do) the thin blueis a cleaner smoke and helps if you use lump or preburnt wood. also u dont need alot of wood just a little. the best line sorry for stealing from some one is the thin blue just kisses the meat. hope that helps. good luck

That thick bellowing smoke looks impressive but can generate creosote, ya know kinda like the stuff ya see on telephone poles and railroad ties? It adds a bitter flavor rather then the sweet smokey smell were after. Good luck, keep up the fine work!

So far its looking great. Like Erain said, you don't need to see the smoke as long as you smell it you are smoking. My first smoke was only about 30% thin blue the rest was heavy white (in my cold smoker before I found this forum), but I didn't know any better then.
Keep us posted with the progress and the finished results.
Andy.

Looks good not sure bout that 3am thing I think I'd have just had to stay up and drink more beer.
biggrin.gif

What erain said.

If you have ever tasted the results of billowing smoke, believe me, you wil understand. I made some "really tasty" billowy smoked ribs a couple of weeks ago. My daughter called them "lightingy". The good news, or in this case bad news, was that I had the whole rack to myself.

As has been said here before, think of the smoke as another spice. A little is good. Apply it to taste. Too much is, well, too much.

Dave

Good descriptions from all so far...

Honestly, if you plan to pull the butt, you won't notice too much if you oversmoked it. Not that you shouldn't try to do it the right way (thin blue), but it is less noticeable with pulled meat... but for stuff that you slice, or eat on the bone (ribs, brisket, fatty, etc.), that outer layer will be quite zingy, and more than a bit strong.

I stoked up my smoke like I was driving a coal train when I first started... didn't know any better, but since learning the right way I go through very little wood. I use lump for heat and add a chunk of wood every once in a while. Usually one piece at a time is sufficient... when it burns up I place another off to the side, not on top of the coals. You just want it smoldering a bit. Keep after it and ask questions here... you'll be an ace in no time.

Good luck, your prep looks great!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks all for the input and cheers.

I have cracked my first beer for the day....smoking and some beers go hand in hand I believe..

Anyhow as for an update:

Smoker been rainging 220-230 - spike of 255 but caught it quickly.

Butt - 154 and been holding a while...at the plateau so I'm not budgin on temp.

Fatty - 168 - Just about done.

Ribs - just put on...(Will do 3-2-1 - they are beef.)

Looking very good nice bark

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky