here are the pics....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

badfrog

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 10, 2009
Tennessee
this is the second posting for this, but now with pics!

Stuffing;

I diced up some idahos and put them in the skillet with a little of my own majic rub. cooked them a few minutes to get them a little tender and get a little color.
Next, added onion, garlic, green and red pepper and continued to cook it to soften the veges.

It seemed a little "loose" so I added about 1 cup of water and some stuffing mix I had - the stuffing mix absorbed the water and the pan scrapings and brought the whole thing together really nice!

Next, I flattened out the sausage between two pieces of wax paper, making it as square as possible.

Once the stuffing cooled, put the stuffing on the sausage

and using the wax paper, rolled the first edge up over the stuffing,

then the second edge then pinched and sealed the seam and ends together.

Following the great example I found here on another thread, I used the weave method to apply the bacon to my fattie.

All set and off to the smoker (already smoking at a nice 225 with 20 Lbs of Pork butt.

here it is!!!!

AAR (After Action Review)
First; I will DEFINETELY do this again.
what I will do different;
1. prepare, cook and eat when my wife is not around! Seems she aquired an MD license sometime earlier this morning and became an expert on fat, triglyerides and cholesterol... also apparently aquired the skills to identify cholesterol levels by sight!!!!

2. Use better bacon. I went cheapo on the bacon...go for the thick slab bacon - it would be better!

3. I would go a little heavier on the spices next time...my filling could have been improved with the addition of some fresh ground smoked chili's or maybe some Sirachi in it.

looks like a great job on your fattie...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Fatty looks Fantastic. Great job
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
:PDT_Arma taz_01_34:

I see you said the next time you are going to go for the thicker cut bacon? Go ahead and try it, but I think most here will agree, the cheaper thinner cuts work best with fatties.
Good job on getting the pics loaded, as you know, we like pics here
icon_mrgreen.gif

Look forward to seeing your next one.

Congrats and
points.gif
for your first fatty nice job

Oh man, wheres my head at? I totally forgot until Piney mentioned it. Your first fatty. Points from me as well. For your first one, it looks like you've been making em for years. Points on a job well done.
points.gif

Looks great. Nice weave. I'm doing my first one tomorrow. Will advise.

How long did you smoke it? The bacon looked good. I just did some ABT's and I parboiled the bacon for 3 min and it was nice and crispy after 3 hours. Did you do anything to your bacon before weaving?

If she's an MD, she knows about lots of drugs that will get your Cholorestoral under control!
icon_wink.gif
They work for me! It's either that or a life of eating cardboard. Yuch - just bury me now.

Better living through chemistry, I always say.

Great looking fatty! I'll have to go along with Meat Hunter in using the thinner bacon. I've tried it both ways and the thicker stuff doesn't seem to get as well done. Thanks for posting your first fatty.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

First; I will DEFINETELY do this again.
what I will do different;
1. prepare, cook and eat when my wife is not around! Seems she aquired an MD license sometime earlier this morning and became an expert on fat, triglyerides and cholesterol... also apparently aquired the skills to identify cholesterol levels by sight!!!!

2. Use better bacon. I went cheapo on the bacon...go for the thick slab bacon - it would be better!

3. I would go a little heavier on the spices next time...my filling could have been improved with the addition of some fresh ground smoked chili's or maybe some Sirachi in it.
great idea on the above.
but thats a great looken fatty just the way it is
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
thanks for the qview

I would stick with the thinner bacon as well...great freakin job on your first go at a fattie...sky is the limit on these bad boys...
points.gif

You have done a fabulous job there Badfrog. And on your first fattie to boot. I like your choice of fillings I did one like that too. I called it the baked potatoe with evrything that you would put on a baked potatoe. So you have to get some
points.gif
for sure for your first fattie. And just remember that :

One Cooked is one Hooked

You will smoke theses often after the first one. They are sooo good and filling to.

Great looking Fattie Badfrog. I am a person who really likes fried spuds and my mouth was watering while everything was in the pan frying ...Points to you for a job well done..

points.gif

rhage2

I am not sure the exact amount of time...I had a guy stop by to look at a pool table I had for sale...he ended up buying it so I helped him dismantle it...somewhere after we had loaded the last of 3 pieces of very heavy slate I realized my Fattie must be done! I am guessing it was about 2-2 1/2 hrs.

oh and by the way, she is NOT an MD (except in her mind!!! lol).

Thanks to all for all of the positive feedback. Sounds like the thin bacon is the consensus for the way to go.
I am already planning my next one...I am thinking Italian with veges and polenta stuffing, a spicy Italian sausage wrapped in some homemade pancetta I have in the freezer. I will keep you posted!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky