Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bountyhunter

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
I am a complete rookie at this smoking thing, lots of reading not much doing. I have a Weber One touch Silver BBQ-22.5". I attempting my first turkey.  I am trying to attain temps around that 300* mark. One chimmey full of coals was lit and banked on one side of the grill. After one hour in I have temps of 300+ at the top of the lid but the air temp at  the turkey itself is 255. I have a digital probe stuck in a potato close to the turkey. Is this hot enough?

I'm betting as that turkey heats up you will see your grate temp go up. 255* is fine and no safety issues there.

2 hrs in and added some briquetts and I now have a dome temp 325 and grill temp of 275. It is turning a nice brown. Have not done a  I T yet.

Hello Bountyhunter.  Sounds like you got that tiger by tha tail.  HANG ON!  Your doin fine.  Most of these things aren't rocket science but can be a little intimidating.  Nice to have knowledgeable folks like Dave around to hold your hand a little till you find your feet.  Have fun my friend and don't forget the Qview.  Keeep Smokin!

Danny

Three hrs in and it is staying at 325/275. the breast meat is at 150 and one thigh is at 170 and the other is at 150 so i turned the bird to change the heat a little bit. It sure is looking good tho.

Be sure to send Q-view  ...
biggrin.gif

Sorry for not getting back to you, I was too busy fighting off the kids. Put it in the fridge over night and then sliced it cold and took it to a neighborhood picnic. It got inhaled, I almost didn't get any. I haven't figured out how to do pictures yetbut will look into it poss this weekend as I am planning on doing a chicken and some ribs. Thank you again for all your support. This site is fantastic.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky