Help with shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

damond

Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Hello

Kinda new here and to smoking.
I have done some butts but never a shoulder. I bought a 6 or 7 lb one at the local wholesale club.
Here is where my question comes in. It unlike the butts seems to have the skin still on it. Is this normal? do I leave it on? Will the rub permeate it?
Don't laugh this is my first one remember.

Thanks
Damon

It is a picnic says so right on the label LOL.

I tried pulling the skin off it seems to be taking the fat with it. Is there a trick to this?

I usually use a knife just below the skin, as I lift up the skin I just slice it off as you go. It gets a little tricky when you get around the bone.

You could leave it on to it gets real hard and crunchy like a ham. Comes off easier to - but if you slip the knife under the rubbery part you can almost filet it off.

It can be rather tough to get off. Grab one end with a paper towel for grip and take a long knife and start cutting under the skin while pulling upwards. It should largely pull away.

Personally I remove the skin and leave as much fat as possible on there. I smoke it fat side up so that some of it drips down into the meat. Go ahead and season the fat as well.

Damon, I find that if I make several slices of the hide length ways of the bone all the way around and then pour the rub to it and smoke it low and slow to an internal temp of 180-190 then let her rest till cool enough to pull the hide off and slice as wanted.... works for me.

When I pull the skin, I hold my knife vertical and use a sawing motion.
pushing the knife against the skin as I pull.

It separates the skin and keeps you from cutting into the fat or the meat like you might if you were filleting it.( holding the knife horizontal)

I hope that makes sense. It's hard to explain. Maybe I'll post some pics next time I do one.(or a you tube video)

It also gives the perfect skin for cracklins!!!

If you really want it off a filet knife just under the skin works good, go all the way around and it slips off like a sleeve. An icky sleeve though!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky