Help with neighbours

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dave77

Original poster
Apr 10, 2016
Evening All,

I'm hoping that someone can help....

We currently smoke all our meat in lovely outdoor smokers, however we have had the neighbours complaining of the smell of BBQ'ing meat everyday. We need to come up with a solution before the council get involved.

We are in a built up area and need to come up with a solution.

It sounds crazy but I remember learning about the Russians in WW2 who hid out in woods for years, part of the reason they didn't get caught is because no smoke or fires could be seen as they funneled the smoke back into the ground (mud). Is this a possibility? I can't see how they could get any draw for the smoke...? Could we build a large soil/peat bin and send the smoke into this..?

Any ideas or help would be appreciated, we don't want to stop smoking the meat.

Run the exhaust through a flame....   flame consumes smoke..    Maybe a banjo type burner would work...  You will have to rig it so it doesn't restrict the air flow...

Exhaust ran through an air scrubber?

Your neighbors must be vegetarians?

I guess an everyday occurrence could irritate some people.

Good luck!

Reassure them that you will only be smoking meat on days that end with a "Y". 
cool.gif

So when does their "quiet enjoyment" come at the expense of your "quiet enjoyment"?  That can be a slippery slope. Sounds like the type of folks who love to be on the board of a HOA (professional busy bodies).

Reactions: stickyfingers
I would say just to be on the safe side check your local laws or CC&Rs in you neighborhood to make sure you are not breaking any regulations. If there is nothing wrong with what you are doing, apologize and offer to cook them up something once in a while.

If that happened to me I would have to offer my condolences to my neighbors and wish them good luck on their next home. On the flip side when building a fire at 4:00 AM I heard voices out front in the street , when I went out there were two Sheriff  Deputies walking to the house they saw me and asked if I had a fire. After explaining to them what I was doing they wanted to see my rig. Later when my wife got up she said she could swear she heard talking in the back yard !

You have to love neighbors! We are allowed fireworks the day before,of and after a state or national holiday and my daughter loves them so we do one usally one of the three allowed days last time my neighbor came out cussing,then I told them I don't say anything about there three out of control dogs barking all the time they went away after that! Good luck with your ordeal!

What type of dwelling are you in and do you really smoke everyday..??

Would you be allowed a wood stove where you live?

I agree with everyone else. Also, is it the meat or smoke smoke smell that bothers them? If it's smoke try a hot burning coal or electric smoker with limited wood (AMNPS/smoke gen) piped into cook box through long stove to clean and cool smoke. I've noticed a significant drop in neighborhood smell when I did that. If it's meat. . . Well they are the kind of people who are looking for a cause and you may have to fight it at the council! Good luck!!!

I would recommend another approach. Why not start a neighborhood Q. Find some butts on sale some of those 39 cent chicken hind quarters.Let 'me all bring their own drinks, maybe some beans and mac & cheese. Let 'em see what that smoke makes.

Make some friends. Its better than side stepping them. There will always be some foolish liitle knit picking thing to complain about. 

I had this problem with ne of my neighbours. Had to move my cooking set up from on side of the garden to the other side.

They cook breakfast on their Gas BBQ most Summer Sunday mornings, they never hear me complain!

Saying that the complain about everything!

They asked my son to park his van down the street, as he could not swing off his drive, but had to select reverse, to get round. So he wanted my son to walk 100 yards down the road!

If they really annoy me I get all four smokers going at the same time to clean them!!!!

Reactions: crazzycajun
Hi Dave,

For 35 years I lived in Ft. Lauderdale next to the neighbor from hell. He threatened to kill me, Judy, and my kids several times. He'd dress in camo & hide in the bushes. A real wack job! Called the cops on him, a bunch of times, so if something happened to us they would know where to look. So someone complaining about smoke smell is not as bad as it could be. 

I also notice that this is your first post, so at your leisure would you swing by roll call & introduce yourself, so we can all give you a proper SMF welcome!

Al

I have always worried offending neighbors because i tend to smoke early in the morning (Sat 5am is the usual). So to combat this i make a habit of cooking extra an giving my neighbors some of my BBQ. It has gotten to the point where neighbors will stop by sat morning to see what im cooking when they see Black Betty out in the driveway. I cooked a whole picnic pork and pulled to it with some homemade sauce and gave it to a neighbor Sunday and yesterday when i came home that neighbor was mowing my lawn for me.

More to your problem: i like the idea of a neighborhood BBQ because even if the neighbors who have the problem( its their problem don't come or don't enjoy it the other people in the HOA or council will be there and have a good time and its a good way to "win friends and influence people".

Just a thought,

phatbac (Aaron).

Reactions: cats49er
My Neighbours never complain when I BBQ or Smoke anything. If anything, the moment they smell the smoker, they are over want to

A) see what I am cooking and

B) see if there is room for something they want trow into the smoker. Mind you, I have no community rules to abide by, except be a normal person.

I do Pity some of the Folks who live in communities that ban things, like BBQs and Flying a flag and such

If you can, move. I lived in a condo complex and would BBQ every weekend. An anorexic woman moved in after me and started complaining, and complaining, and complaining until it finally became a major problem. It made no difference what I did to mitigate the smoke; it was never enough to satisfy her. She would actually start complaining on Thursday about how the smoke this weekend was going to making her ill.

Life is way to short to be around people like that so I moved.

I wait until the winds are blowing towards my neighbor behind me then I start up my smoker at full blast.    Hope they'd choke and move away

Last edited:

If you can, move. I lived in a condo complex and would BBQ every weekend. An anorexic woman moved in after me and started complaining, and complaining, and complaining until it finally became a major problem. It made no difference what I did to mitigate the smoke; it was never enough to satisfy her. She would actually start complaining on Thursday about how the smoke this weekend was going to making her ill.

Life is way to short to be around people like that so I moved.
You probably did the right thing. Most cities now have a fire law concerning smokers/pits and condo/apts. Usually the basics of the law are you must smoke on the ground (not a balcony) a min. of 10 to 20 ft of the edifice meaning any part of the structure including concrete. Some neighborhoods especially those with a HOA, have rules also. 

A Customer blew his top after buying a new house, when he got a note to talk to the HOA Pres. about his BBQing. He pretty much told her how the cow ate the cabbage and they ended up in court.

Always read that small print! Its small for a reason.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky