Help With GOSM Charcoal Decision?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Should I keep or resell this GOSM?

• SELL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KEEP

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daddyzaring

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
Okay here's the deal, I bought a really nice, barely used GOSM Charcoal Smoker for $25, But I also have A charbroil offset that I bought a couple months ago new at Walmart with a 2 year protection plan. I have some other smokers too that I have got really cheap to clean up to resell to earn enough money to go towards the smoker I really want. The GOSM is suppose to be one of those, but it looks like it would be better and/or easier to smoke with than my CB offset. It looks almost new, and only needs washed down real good if I resell it, and at $25 and a wash in it, I would imagine making a good profit.
I would like everyones opinions on helping me decide which way to go. lol
Thank you,
Jeff

Try to re-sell that gosm and get a propanse gosm. Then you can do biq Q's in the char-brioler and use the propane gosm for ANYTHING! It's nice to be able to adjust the temp at the turn of a knob, vary the amount of smoke and add charcoal if you want to go really low and slow for bacon and whatnot..

my $0.02..

The charbroil does have lots of space, but any time you have to open it to check anything you lose almost all of your heat, because the whole top half of the smoke chamber is the lid.
Also this picture makes it look alot smaller than it really is. I is 30"Hx16"Wx16"D.

But why buy a cheaply made Propane GOSM when you own the sturdiest GOSM already? You could easily covert it to Propane, as I did. Get a hold of a single burner hot plate from Northern Tool and feed the line thru the lower side vent. You will lose a bit of cooking space depending on how big a can (which will hold you pieces of charcoal and wood) you put on the hot plate. I can easily get to 375 degrees if needed with this conversion.

Here you see it with a pan and then the can inside. I have since done away with the pan.

FYI, I perfer charcoal/wood. No offense to gas and electric users, that's just what I like. I am trying to save up for a good size pull behind.

This being a charcoal smoker and inclosed better is mainly why I am having second thoughts about selling it. lol

Thus the reason I still throw some charcoal into the can with the chunks of wood. I have converted many of my friends over to propane with this set up. It is nice to be able to "set it and forget it". I still have a 35 year old ECB that I use for short smokes with charcoal, but when it becomes a smoke over 4 hours, the GOSM conversion is the way to go.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Yea but I don't care for gas, and I guess the bigger picture for me is that I really want something bigger, and the money I could earn selling this would help me get closer to that.
Smoking is a really bad addiction, and not just the food. lol

I would keep it if I were you but I'm not. I'm like flash I'm a gasser and I have an older GOSM and I like it and I keep it with a hot plate for doing cold smoke for bacon and some sausages. It works great for that too.

I have a Brinkman Gourmet Charcoal I got for Fathers Day. My neighbor saw me cooking on it and told me he had a vertical one on the porch I could have. It turned out to be a Great Outdoors Charcoal Smoker just like yours. Now I have two smokers to play with. The one I got from my neighbor had only been used one time. I hope to find some mods on here. It has several air leaks that should be easy to fix. This is my first post on here and I know it wont be my last. This site is great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky