help with cure please!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lennyluminum

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
ST. Petersburg, FL
I have 3 lbs of deer meat all sliced up for jerky and I just got the #1 cure I know from reading on here that you use 1 tea spoon for 5 lbs of meat so how much for 3 lbs? 3/4 tea spoon?

ok so 3/4 tea spoon?

Yeap you want 60% of that teaspoon and 3/4 tsp is 75%....real close, only about .0.8 grams over.
If you can measure a third of a tsp, then 2 thirds would be closer, but either way you'll be good.

ok thanks guys I got it all mixed up and soakin over night will star smoking after work tomorrow.

do you think it be ok to soak in the marinade for 24 hrs?

Diggy's scale is perfect for measuring cure and spices....

Here is another outlet.... Raven's scales on ebay... I have bought 2 scales there.... good seller....  many sizes and types of scales to choose from .... this scale weighs almost 1/4 pound max.... perfect for spices and cure.....  The scale I bought was 600 grams max.. just over 1 lb....   I convert all measurements to grams to make things simple.... 

%24(KGrHqJ,!hgE3vtP)1nHBN8SKnOUqQ~~0_3.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-x-0-01-...288?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a69d26900

You mean that scale weighs to 0.01 grams for under 20 bucks.   That's a great deal!   Everyone that uses cures should have one!

I've been meaning to get myself a nice digi scale for the kitchen, I guess this is one more reason. works great for "herbs" too
32.gif
For calibration I've used nickles before. Not sure if they're super accurate for smaller weights but they typically weigh 5 grams

I've been meaning to get myself a nice digi scale for the kitchen, I guess this is one more reason. works great for "herbs" too
32.gif
For calibration I've used nickles before. Not sure if they're super accurate for smaller weights but they typically weigh 5 grams

Just to clarify, the scale mentioned above is only good for measuring cure, salt, herbs/spices or anything else less than about 3 ounces.

For a bigger kitchen scale, I have one of these.......

Works great!

~Martin

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky