Help with bark on smaller cuts SUCCESS!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
Sandusky, OH
I never get bark like you guys. I am not 100% sure but at this point I think it has to do with me smoking smaller stuff. IE I do 5-7lbs and you guys much larger. Average butt is getting pulled in 6 hours where you guys are like 12+. I have tried a pellicle and it definitely helps but nowhere near as dark as I see posted. I have sugar in my rub and that also helps too but once again not enough. Is it that simple? Large cuts (not gonna be easy) and smoke much longer? Thanks in advance!

Do you wrap the butt? I used to, but now the family loves the bark so the butts never get wrapped and I usually cook around a 6 - 8 pound piece.
Also, what temp do you smoke it at? I do mine on the hot and fast side....my smoker likes to run around 290 degrees.

Reactions: zwiller
No wrapping anymore. I have given up wrapping pretty much everything nowadays for more bark. No water pan either. Hot and fast too usually 275F. How long would that 6-8lber take to smoke?

EDIT: MES30 + AMNPS

Last edited:
Hmmm. I think I may have been hitting bone with the probe or something. Last 2 butts hot 200F in under 6 hours tops and was no real stall either... Also makes sense since they did not pull easy at all.

Last edited:
Just updating this. Did a 3lb chuck for barbacoa and finally got some good bark. Roast was boneless. Made it a point to ensure therm probe was in center. Total smoke time at 250F to 210F IT (wrapped at 165F per Bear technique) was 12 hours. That was twice as long as the last butt. Odd. Family is totally addicted to my barbacoa now.

Finally! I think this has to be the 4 or 5th I ever did. We are in heaven. Honestly, I only kinda liked PP (made it for daughter) but with this bark, I actually have fallen in love with it. Thanks!
20180428_175208.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky