Help--Wicked Baked Beans and Baby Backs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmiller7018

Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Erie, PA
Morning All,

I've got Bear Camp coming up in about 3 weeks and I was going to do Baby Backs, cottage potatoes (chessy) and baked beans for my dinner.

I'm still alittle new at this, but in "my mind" I've got the hang of it, everyone seems to love all that I smoke!! I have not tried baked beans yet. I see where most people put their beans under their ribs so that the juices from the ribs run into the beans, sounds good!!

The question is about time--the bean recipe calls for 2-3 hours, I going to do the 2-2-1 method on the ribs. How do I keep the beans warm without drying them out while the ribs finish?

When you foil the ribs, pull your beans out and cover them with foil and throw a sleeping bag over them.  When you unwrap your ribs put the foiled beans back in, leaving the foil over them.

You can always wait to add the beans until you foil the ribs. You won't get any direct drippings but once you unfoil the ribs you can pour the collected juice into the beans. You will get the smoke flavor into the beans while the ribs are foiled and that is the main goal. 

You can always wait to add the beans until you foil the ribs. You won't get any direct drippings but once you unfoil the ribs you can pour the collected juice into the beans. You will get the smoke flavor into the beans while the ribs are foiled and that is the main goal. 
That's what I like to do.

TW

Thanks all!!

Tropics;

I have a Smoke Hollow 44" gasser with the window on the door, I won it on a raffle ($5). I spent about 2 months trying to figure out what kind of smoker I wanted to buy, couldn't decide if I wanted carcoal, eletric or gas--so for $5 I'm going with the gas!!! I have to say that I've really come to like it alot-temp control is great. The only thing that is a concern would be the chip trays, I think I get to much smoke sometimes?

I've been looking at the A-MAZE-N product line but I'm not sure what will work best in the SH, someone on here told me to contact them and they would help me out.

I bought a bunch of fresh pecan and apple chucks this summer so I will probably wait until I burn it up before buying?

Thanks again!!

You can put them in at any time,open the door move stuff around they should finish with the rest.

Richie

texas.gif
  Good evening and welcome to the forum, from a cloudy and cool day here in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything. 

Gary

i actually do my beans for HOURS !!!!!!
i stir them every hour and mix that smoke flavour in. i hold my temp at 225 steady and have a home built electric smoker. never ever worried about drying my beans out, it all about the smoke ......

so i will put my beans in at around 9 am, then the ribs at 11 am. this way everything is done around 5 pm.

GOOD LUCK

Goliath

My opinion is based on a bigger smoke that I did that was beyond the one time capacity of my smoker. Smoke the beans a day or two before you do the protein. That way you only need to re heat. My opinion is that the beans taste better after sitting a bit anyway! Good luck!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky