HELP!!! Turkey Breast/Roast.......

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by trece, Aug 11, 2007.

1. trece

trece Fire Starter

OK, I have read every single thread on turkey breasts I could find, then I tried to e-mail debi directly from her site and that didn't work so I'm turning to "my people" for help.
    Sunday I am smokin a 3 lb turkey breast/roast....more of a roast.PLEAZZZSE tell me if I'm right:
    -I will stick it in a brine tomorrow night till sunday am (debi's recipe)
    -what basic poultry rub should I use? I have Debi's rub book but I am overwelmed, could someone suggest one?
    -I intend to inject w/pepper/butter mixture ( I actually know how to do this :))
    - I assume 170 degrees??? Debi's Temp chart doesn't cover turkey breast
    So my guess is 225 for 3-6 hours????

I intend to slice this for lunchmeat for the week. If I've forgotten anything please tell me.
    Thx,
    Trece

2. cheech

cheech Master of the Pit OTBS Member

[font=&quot]Turkey[/font][font=&quot] Pastrami[/font]

[font=&quot]
    [/font]
    [font=&quot]3 Tablespoons coriander seeds[/font]
    [font=&quot]3 Tablespoons black peppercorns[/font]
    [font=&quot]6 cloves garlic minced[/font]
    [font=&quot]1 ½ tsp yellow mustard seeds[/font]
    [font=&quot]¼ cup coarse salt[/font]
    [font=&quot]¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar[/font]
    [font=&quot]¼ cup paprika[/font]
    [font=&quot]1 Tablespoon ground ginger[/font]
    [font=&quot]1 teaspoon ground mace (optional)[/font]
    [font=&quot]1 4-5 lbs turkey breast bone [/font]

[font=&quot]
    [/font]

[font=&quot]Make the rub; coarsely crush the seeds combine with the remaining ingredients and mix well using fingers[/font]

[font=&quot]Add rub to meat, smoke, and enjoy[/font]

[font=&quot]For turkey breast this is my go to recipe. I smoke it at 225-250 F it goes for I believe around 5-6 hours.[/font]

This recipe works for goose, chicken but turkey is the best and always has my guests paying me compliments.

3. blackhawk19

blackhawk19 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Cheech, that sounds great, I'm saving that one for future use

4. trece

trece Fire Starter

What temp should I get the Turkey to. Its a 3lb, boneless roast. I'm guessing 170 ?
    Thx,
    Trece

5. ajthepoolman

ajthepoolman Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

165 should be fine. You could go to 180 to be absolutely sure, but then you risk a dry bird.

6. kueh

kueh Meat Mopper

Rubs are a personal choice depending on the flavours you like. As for finishing temperature, 160° or so is fine if you wrap the roast immediately. The roast will rise to 170° which is the "new" recommended temperature. The old temperature was 180°. LOL, the "new" temperature is actually old. I was looking through an older recipe book and it says to cook to 170°. I'd suggest cooking at 250° and get a digital thermometer with long probe cable. Times are always an approximation, better to monitor the food with a thermometer.

7. bwsmith_2000

bwsmith_2000 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Cheech,
    Sounds good! I've saved your recipe to my recipe file. Thanks for the post.