Help to make smoked paper-skin duck breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dujpron

Original poster
Aug 10, 2016
Hello
i got some problem with duck part
i want to make Cantonese-style roasted duck but whole-duck too much for me and i have only small oven so i try to use thigh or breast only

Problem is i cant make layer of fat underneath the skin melt down,
whole-duck recipe roasting duck at medium-high temp with 2-4 hours
but bcuz i use only duck part if i do that the meat-side with dry out

my work is
1.use finger separate skin and meat (still intact end-part),stripes diamond pattern
2.brine duck part for 1-2 hour (with salt,sugar,water,soysauce,ginger,garlic)
3.boil water with distill vinegar,honey,red coloring then pour over skin-side ,skin tighten up
4.rub with baking powder, uncover in fridge to dry the skin 
5.1 first time i roasted with convection oven 140 c, still fatty skin
5.2 second,used aluminum foil wrapped all over meat-part ,uncover the skin-part in fridge 48 hours,roasted, not better than first one,skin still thick  but cracking (skin too dry?)

pls give me some suggestion for this

i have only 2 breast to test

thx

Slit the skin....   place duck part on rack in roaster.. place water in roaster...   steam the duck until all that fat has rendered... usually an hour for a whole duck....   then place the duck part in a very hot oven until skin is crisp....

I don't recall but you may have to salt the skin at the start of the process.....   Bride makes the best duck...  she's not here to tell me how she does it.....

thx so much

but i wonder

puting water in roaster to help meat moist or help easier rendering?

i will try steam brined breast about 40 min then rest ,maybe use fan to dry the skin after that will broil in convection oven to crisp skin,what do you think?

place duck part on rack in roaster.. place water in roaster...   steam the duck until all that fat has rendered...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky