HELP: Smoking Drumsticks for beginners

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

btirey

Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
So here is the deal. I love grilling on my gas grill but now i feel like its time for the slow and low. I just purchased a bunch of chicken drumsticks from costco and i am looking for step by step guide to brining (if necessary), dry rubbing, smoking (how long? temp?) and then saucing these bad boys. Does anyone have suggestions, recipes, or anything that will help?

Do i need to go buy a smoker or can i use my propane grill? 

thanks for any help.
sausage.gif

btirey, welcome!

Here's a partial answer. It is possible to smoke on a propane grill, but it's not optimal. I've done it, and that's why I now own 2 smokers and a Weber kettle. For versatility, it's hard to beat the ol' Weber, IMO.

Anyway, you need do a search here to find out about brining, rubs and so forth. Too much information to put in this post.

But as for using a gas grill, here's the basics: Buy a small steel or iron smokebox that will fit over one of your burners on one side of the grill. Fill it with hardwood or fruitwood chips of your choice (I would used half soaked, half dry.) Fire that one burner, and put your chicken on the opposite side of the grill. You can also use wood chips wrapped loosely in a foil packet, and make small holes in the top of the packet to produce smoke. Even a clean tuna fish can will work. This should give you enough smoke for 20-30 minutes.  Depending on how large your grill area is, you may want to fire another burner to keep a steady temperature inside. Remember, every time you open the lid, you lose heat and extend the cooking time.

Good luck!

Mneeley490- thanks for the help! you have cleared that up for me! i appreciate it man. happy smoking

Basic brine Mix.

1 gallon water
1 cup of salt
1 cup of sugar

after that you can add anything you like from there.  Brine must be kept cold below 40 degrees F.

Some folks use hot sauce to add heat, but you can add some of the rub you use, or just experiment.

Brine, and then rinse, before you add the rub.

Sometimes if you don't rinse, the meat can get too salty if your rub has lots of salt.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Some other guys can help with time and temp but these recipes are real good...JJ

Poultry Brine

1/2C Kosher Salt

2T Paprika

2T Gran Garlic

2T Gran Onion

2T Black Peppercorns

2T Dry Thyme

1C Cider Vinegar

1 Gallon Water

Mix and Soak Bird 12-24hours.

Drain and Dry Bird, Rest in refrigerator over night to dry skin.

Chix Bubba Q Rub

1/2C Sugar in the Raw (Turbinado)

2T Sweet Paprika (Hungarian)

1T Kosher Salt

1T Chili Powder (contains some Cumin and Oregano) Ancho Chile is same without cumin, oregano etc.

1T Granulated Garlic

1T Granulated Onion

1-2tsp Bell's Poultry Seasoning

1tsp Black Pepper, more if you like

1/2tsp Grnd Allspice

Cayenne or Chipotle Pwd to taste, start with 1/2tsp and go from there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky