help pls...my all around dry rub...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

firedan

Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
I have this dry rub that i use for meat, poultry and fish...

1 cup washed sugar

1/4 cup salt

1 tsp ground black pepper

1/2 Tbs garlic powder

How much pink salt do i need to add to make it a curing rub....this is for a 2lb meat...if there are left over...can i use it again, lets say on a piece of chicken...

thank you again

I tsp of cure #1 will cure 5# of meat.

You must use all the rub for the piece of meat you are curing.

For your 2 lb. piece you would use just a little less than 1/2 tsp.

If there is any leftover it must go in the bag with the meat to properly cure it.

This is the calculator we all use.

Just plug in the numbers & you will know exactly how much of each ingredient you need.

http://diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html

Al

Let's figure out a rub....

For 1# of meat....454 grams... 

2% salt = 9 grams

1% sugar= 5 grams

CBP,,  weigh out some

GP..  weigh out some.. 

Cure #1= 1.1 grams

Multiply those numbers X 100 and you have enough for 100 #'s of meat....   THEN...  weigh it all and divide by 100 and you know how much to add to 1# of meat....

9 + 5 + 1 + ? + ? = 15 or 17 grams per pound...   Mix THOROUGHLY before each use.....

I do that for fish... I have a bag of fish cure in my curing stuff.. 

Last edited:
Nice info dave and smokinal...thanks to u guys...
By thr way...what salt should i use...the rock salt or iodized salt...pros and cons if there are...
Thanks again..God bless..

Kosher salt seems to be what most use...  No anti caking ingredients etc...    FWIW, different salts weigh differently per equal volume....   Soooo it's best to always weigh stuff..... 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky