Help...MES40 Puffing Flames!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
Hey guys, My MES is humming along at 230*F when the Over Temp alarm goes off on my Mav732...The Temp is at 265* and climing and every few seconds there is a Puff of white smoke and a a Flame shooting out of the side Chip loader...What's up with that and what should I do?...JJ

Last edited:
Every once in a while the MES back drafts and "Farts" out the chip loader

It's a build up of Gas inside the smoker

It's happened to me and scare the crap out of me.

Todd

th_violent5.gif

JJ only use a small amount of chips and make sure the chip filler is all the way in. Mine was doing this and i cut a piece of metal plate to put in the chip pan so there was a double floor in the pan. This solved my problem as my chip box was getting too hot and this gave me the right temperature on the pan floor to smother chips. Len

Hey Al, I have a Rib Roast, Dino Bones, ABT's, Pork Shots and Moinks working...I have a Camera now so I can start Documenting my Smokes again...I have be doing various items but with no camera I didn't post any of them...JJ

This damn thing is acting funny to day...The Temp is set at 225*F and the Mav BBQ probe is reading 290*F...I'm so confused...
102.gif
...JJ

Sounds like you got a load in there. The controllers are never right (except on mine) so just adjust it to the Mav. You might have to set the controller to 180 to get the smoker temp at 225.

Where are you puting the Mav Probe? The MES Prob sensor Is on the back wall, I think third shelf from the top. That is where I always put one of my Mav BBQ Probes. I usually put another on the top rack too.

Hey Al, I have a Rib Roast, Dino Bones, ABT's, Pork Shots and Moinks working...I have a Camera now so I can start Documenting my Smokes again...I have be doing various items but with no camera I didn't post any of them...JJ
JJ, afternoon.... with all that food in there, there may not be enought room between the pieces for air flow to the exhaust... 

Exhaust wide open, chip drawer out 1/8" inch after you dump about 1/4 cup of chips in it...  Check the MES door with a dollar bill to make sure it is sealing tight... trust the Mav probe and adjust the controller so the Mav reads what you want.... 

If you have any concerns about the meat, you have my address....
sausage.gif
  Dave

JJ. My MES30 has done this a few times and Todd said it right, "farts out the side", I had my loader turned to the unlock position before and it shot it out onto the deck when it passed gas, the smoker was just not breathing right.  As stated above do not overload the chip tray, since I lowered the amount of wood used I have not had the same problem.  As all smokers these things have a learning curve but once you get it figured out they are great.  Not sure why your temps are that far off, when I get my setpoint above the 200 deg mark it will run within 5 deg of my ET732, below that can be a good 30 deg off.   

For now I would lower the setpoint, open the door to let out the heat and humidity then just monitor and take good notes for the next trip.

Sounds like you are breaking it in right, full load of goodies, good luck my friend.

Gary

Mine does the same thing.  I just got it for Christmas and have only used it 3 or 4 times. My theory is that the wood is at combustion temperature and just lacks enough oxygen to get a flame going.  I think if it gets enough O2 through either the chip loader getting opened or a draft helping get a little more O2 reach the chips you get a mini-explosion. Mine actually farted a flame at one point.   I would think that reducing the amount of chips would help but it might just be too tight in terms of airflow.  Maybe it needs a little more leakage???? 

Mine did the same thing the first time I used it. I was curious and was messing around openeing the door to look, then I closed the door and slid the chip loader out and it like "backfired" and scared the hell out of me. After that I learned to closed the door set the damper and dont peek. It hasn't happened since.

HT

Thanks guys...The whole thing settled down after awhile and putting in less chips seemed to help... I had the Mav probe near the back of the middle shelf. Maybe the Chips were igniting causing the Temp spike...Sure is fun learning the Quirks of this thing but the Flames scared the hell out of me...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky