Help me time my Brisket Flat.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flanntastic

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
So for Thanksgiving I am smoking a Turkey and a Brisket Flat.   

I am good on the turkey But this is only my 2nd Brisket.   And its a Flat, so what time should I put this on to get it done and rested by 5Pm?

TIA

Brisket can vary quite a bit, but to give you some ballpark numbers we need a weight at least.

Also keep in mind that a brisket can stay in a couple layers of foil and wrapped in a cooler for hours so don't worry about having it done an hour or three early.

At 250, you should be able to cruise at about 1.5 hours per pound.  However, I'd leave myself a little additional time, in case you have any trouble holding your smoker temps in this weather.  If it were me, I'd figure it like this:

5lbs x 1.5hrs = 7.5hrs cook time + 2hrs rest time = 9.5hrs

Obviously, you don't need to rest the thing for a full two hours, but it will keep in the cooler that long.  If you run over your cook time estimate by an hour, you still have an hour to rest the brisket.

This all assumes that you don't get a "stubborn" brisket.  We've all had at least one stubborn piece of meat that seems to take forever.  Nothing you can do there, but it helps to have a backup plan (more appetizers, anyone?).

Best of luck!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky