• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Help me make a custom burger meat mix

clifish

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 25, 2019
I don't have a grinder, was thinking of ordering from Wildfork to make my own custom grind/mix burgers. They offer the below in 1 lb lots. What would be a good mix? Also what would you add for spices, binder, eggs etc...?

GROUND WAGYU BEEF 80% LEAN - 1 LB $8.98/lb
GROUND BEEF PRIME RIB 80% LEAN $6.98/lb
Ground chuck - $4.98

GROUND BEEF ROUND 85% LEAN $4.22​

GROUND BEEF SIRLOIN 90% $5.48

They also have ground bison and elk?

I could also add some chopped bacon into the mix?

Any input from everyone here would be appreciated as I have never done this. The closet I do is go to my butcher for his chuck, brisket, sirloin burgers and they pretty darn good, but I think I could do better with the above?

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Hey Cliff, to me burger meat has no binders, spices or anything mixed in. It's just the meat. Spices are added to the outside. When you start incorporating things in the mix then it's meatloaf or meatballs.

I like an 80/20 mix for burgers.

Chris

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Hi Cliff,
If I were you I would just buy a grinder. I think our fav burger is a mix of brisket & pork belly. But your options are endless if you can grind it yourself. Including how coarse or fine you want the grind. If you have a KA mixer, they make a grinder attachment for them.
Al

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I've started grinding my own when ground beef prices went through the roof at the start of Covid .
Started with straight brisket , and realized what I was missing .
You know exactly what's in the grind , and it's all cleaned to your liking and fresh .

I post about buying the sub-primals and breaking them down .
I buy with end results in mind , and always include some burger grind in the plan .
I just did some that was clean trim from a whole ribeye , a whole strip loin and petite tenders . Some of the best burgers I've had .

Before pork went up , I was buying butts for around $1.49 a pound and mixing it with higher price beef trim usually from beef knuckles ( sirloin tip ) . Makes a great burger .
In these cases I'm not going by percentages , I'm using what I have trimmed off of each and mixing it together . This type of mix is also great for ground meat dishes .

Here's a bottom round flat that I broke down yesterday . Got 2 nice roast out of it , 2 smaller hunks , and some stew meat or grind .
1660481903013.jpeg
Pretty lean , but I think you'd be surprised how well it holds together .
I also do Brat burgers or any type of sausage seasoning you want and make burger patties .
So I guess long story short , I agree with the grinder suggestion .

LoydB

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 31, 2022
Buy a grinder :)

I do 75% chuck, 20% brisket, 5% beef belly.

Plinsc

Smoke Blower
Joined Jun 4, 2018
Cant go wrong with bacon! You could always ask for only a third mixed in.

clifish

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 25, 2019
Hi Cliff,
If I were you I would just buy a grinder. I think our fav burger is a mix of brisket & pork belly. But your options are endless if you can grind it yourself. Including how coarse or fine you want the grind. If you have a KA mixer, they make a grinder attachment for them.
Al
yeah I don't have that either. I just don't want another appliance just yet, a grinder will lead to a stuffer and so on. Maybe when I retire? Some of the grinds on WF are cheaper than I could buy the whole cuts here.

DougE

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 13, 2010
a grinder will lead to a stuffer and so on
Of course it will, but we wouldn't be very good enablers if nobody tried to push you that direction. :emoji_blush:
I was also going to suggest buying one, and you don't have to buy a big honking one to start out with. I'm still using a $99 Weston.

clifish

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 25, 2019
Of course it will, but we wouldn't be very good enablers if nobody tried to push you that direction. :emoji_blush:
I was also going to suggest buying one, and you don't have to buy a big honking one to start out with. I'm still using a $99 Weston.
I know, even a cheap hand grinder can be had for $30...I am not breaking down big cuts of meat that I will have off cuts like Rich, so buying whole briskets and ribeyes is not cheaper than buying pre ground at WF

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.