Help me get started with MES 30" Analog smoker.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zanemoseley

Original poster
Oct 12, 2020
Been thinking of getting a smoker for years and finally put an MES MB20070210 30" analog smoker on my christmas list. I'm hoping you guys can get me set up in the right direction, been doing some reading so already learning some.

I'm going to go with an Auber WSD-1510GPH PID controller to improve the control I have over the temp and monitoring. I know I need to "rewire" the smoker to bypass the built in analog controller. Where is the best guide for performing this mod? I was hoping for a youtube video but didn't see anything.

I'm also looking to get a AMNPS 5x8" pellet smoker and a 20# bag of the pitmaster pellet blend. Appears most people put on the support bars on the left. Also saw I should tent the pellets with foil when smoking meat that produces drippings.

So I should skip the water tray right...

I saw Auber now makes a recirculation kit for the electric smokers, how essential is this upgrade? I'll be smoking butts, brisket, baby back ribs, turkey breasts and some jerky.

Thanks in advance.

When you say analog. Is it the one that is built into the cord where you plug it into the smoker?

Yes it's got the stat built on the end of the cord.

I thought I had to rewire but now I'm wondering. Do I just plug into the Auber controller and keep the factory stat maxed out so the Auber takes over.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Steve has ya covered on getting plugged into the auber. I had a hard time keeping pellets lit in mine so went to mailbox mod. You'll love the auber!

Ryan

I watched a video on the mailbox mod. So if you're smoking meat is the main advantage of the mailbox mod just increased airflow to the pellets?

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Yes it's got the stat built on the end of the cord.

I thought I had to rewire but now I'm wondering. Do I just plug into the Auber controller and keep the factory stat maxed out so the Auber takes over.

Hi there and welcome!!!

Yep just as you are thinking.

Also for the AMNPS you may be able to set it on the bars BUT the heating element may burn up your pellets because the element is the whole length of the base of the unit.

There is nothing stopping you from getting a 3inch hole saw bit and cutting a whole in the right side (opposite of cord side) and then you can make a mailbox mod and also have the ability to cold smoke in your unit :)
I would certainly do this.

One other thing to consider, the analog units have nooooo insulation so you may want to buy something like this:

To build a custom insulation sleeve that looks like this:
5cf8452e_Fullview.jpg
(from this post on SMF: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/insulating-a-propane-smoker.112976/)

Now if you live in a hot or mild weather area you may not need it but it never hurts to have insulation to help the Auber out with some insulation so it can easily hold tight temps :)

Thanks for all the tips. There are so many different models of smokers it's been tough knowing if the tips I'm reading about are for the model I've got. I see what you mean with the element on mine being full width causing issues with the pellet smoker maze. I think I'll add a mailbox mod to my list, I'll make a rolling stand so I can place the mailbox on the bottom and roll the whole deal from my basement to outside, assuming the smoker doesn't stink to much to keep in the basement.

I live in mid-TN and gets pretty cool in the winter months so a insulated cover would help a lot. The winter just happens to be the time of year I've got time to kill smoking so gotta help the Auber out.

So mailbox mod and an insulated cover. Anything else I should consider? Got plenty of vacation days built up thanks to COVID so I'll take some days off after Christmas to tinker with it and get set up for my first smoke which will probably be a pork butt.

If I can still change to another smoker is there anything new under $200 better than this MES? I was looking really hard at the Char Broil analog model.

Thanks for all the tips. There are so many different models of smokers it's been tough knowing if the tips I'm reading about are for the model I've got. I see what you mean with the element on mine being full width causing issues with the pellet smoker maze. I think I'll add a mailbox mod to my list, I'll make a rolling stand so I can place the mailbox on the bottom and roll the whole deal from my basement to outside, assuming the smoker doesn't stink to much to keep in the basement.

I live in mid-TN and gets pretty cool in the winter months so a insulated cover would help a lot. The winter just happens to be the time of year I've got time to kill smoking so gotta help the Auber out.

So mailbox mod and an insulated cover. Anything else I should consider? Got plenty of vacation days built up thanks to COVID so I'll take some days off after Christmas to tinker with it and get set up for my first smoke which will probably be a pork butt.
A remote digital thermometer

What Murray Murray said hahaha.

A good dual probe, or more probes, (I like a minimum of 4 probes,6 would be better) is mandatory, u cant trust the onboard stuff.
I like so many probes so I can put some at meat/rack level and know what my temps are across the rack as well as in the meat.

If you have meat on multiple racks then u can temp the meat on both racks, etc.

Also, getting correct probe placement in a brisket takes 3 probes for me to get 1 in the proper spot... its always the lowest reading probe hahaha :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky