Help me build this smoker....need suggestions/links

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

griz

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
I just purchased a roughly 4 foot by 2 foot by 30 inches deep stainless warming cabinet. The entire unit, inside and out is stainless steel. It is uninsulated. I placed a burner it in this morning and in 36 degree weather it never broke 135 degree's. Here is what I would ideally like to do and need your help with suggestions and/or links. Here goes:

I plan on building a wood cabinet to place the stainless one in so that I can insulate it. I already own an external smoke creator so no problem there. I would like to be able to control the electric heating elements with a digital controller. In other words, I want to set the temps and simply forget about it. I've read that there are some burners that have a blower attachment to it that allows better control as well as heat output?

Also, how thick of insulation do you think I would need? I can build the cabinet to whatever specifications I need to. I do want this to hold temps very well. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bob

For the digital controller you could look into PID controllers:http://auberins.com/. Many memebers have used these with great success, a forum search on PID will yield many different threads on various use and applications. Not sure what kind of heating element or heat source you are planning on using, but you shouldn't have trouble heating that space. I personally use a Brinkmann element in my freezer conversion and it works great. Others have used finned elements, also with good results. I would think a few inches of fiberglass insulation, either rigid or batt would provide ample insulation, but you can always go the expensive route and go with a super wool kiln/forge type insulation as well. Again that would depend on what kinds of temps and heat source you are considering. Another thing that aids with heat retention is a heat sink of some type. I use fire brick, heavier shelf angle than I really need and a sheet metal diffuser.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky