Help making a smoke shed?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grcic

Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Hi,
I am Stevan from Croatia but right now live in Milwaukee.
Back home in Croatia we smoked pork every year but it was done differently then like described on this site.

First the meat was pressed with salt to cure it and dry out as much blood as possible. Then it was smoked for about two-three weeks just at regular temperature like a camp fire. It was smoked in old stone smoke house. Which were about 12' by 12' and 12' high. After smoking the meat was left to dry for about another 5-8 months depending on part of meat. Drying depended mostly on windy and cold winters.

Right now I am building a smoke shed. About 10'X8' and 12 feet max height. And my problem is that here in MILWAUKEE THE CLIMATE IS CALM (NO WIND). What can I do to make wind in a shed? Should I Put a window on each side and fans in windows?

Also since I am making a shed out of wood what can I do to protect it form burning down? Should I put sheet metal on inside wall? Do I have to make a concrete foundation for the shed or can I just jam 4"x4"s in each corner and nail the shed to them?

Do I need a permit to build a shed?

Thank you

Hi Stevan, welcome to the forum. What I think you are talking about is cold smoking? Not cooking the meat, but cold smoking for preserving.
It is still done here. After curing and cold smoking meat, it can be aged for several months.
I use a small smokehouse for this, used to use the trench and barrel method.
Not sure about Milwaukee laws, but building one probably depends on where you live.

Glad to have you aboard!

Welcome to the smf....if you are just looking to circulate air in your smoke house might just use a fan or two....I would say that depending on how large of building you are going to build???? you would want to check with your local building dept. as to required foundation and materials used in the structure itself. if it is small enough you dont need to follow any city codes... you might want to sheet rock the inside and then put metal over that.But I would start with talking to your local building dept about the size you can build with out following the building codes.hope this helps and welcome

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky