HELP!!! I've been stuck here for over a year! How did I get here, anyway?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forluvofsmoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 27, 2008
I was thinking about this a few weeks ago: what was I doing or looking for when I stumbled upon SMF?

How about you? Do you remember your first visit to SMF, your de-flowering?

It was late August, 2008, and I was doing a search for a dry rub recipe for my spare rib smokes...just something a little different, when, BAM! I clicked on a link, and my computer just can't go anywhere else without a visit here first!!! LOL!!!

The fact of the matter is, I don't need to search for that dry rub recipe anymore. I haven't searched for it since I came here. All I needed to do is read through some threads here and let my creative juices flow...the rest is history.

I doubt that I'll spend much time searching for any info regarding outdoor cooking now. Everything I want to know about cooking is right here in front of me...and with all the great people who hang out here, the friendships that develope here go deeper than we realize. We are a team...helping each other through difficulties, raising each other's spirits, sharing good times and bad, and learning from each other all along the way.

Thanks to all, just for being you!

Eric

Why would you want to get away?

I remember I was using google to look up smokers and smoking meat when i found SMF. Was time to buy another smoker. Had mild success before SMF but the stuff learned here has transformed the way I smoke.

Such a great team/family.

WOW u done did a cool thread-my bro turned me onto SMF-I do lots on my own but still on the grid-GRR

I was looking for the recipe for LilL Chief smoker salmon brine. Somehow I wound up at SMF. I found the brine recipe but got interested in a post by Walking Dude on doing a Pork Butt and some ribs. I Thought Heck I need a different kind of smoker for that. Took the 5 day course and bought Jeffs recipes. Then I Bought a Masterbuilt Kettle two days later and the rest is as they say history.
icon_cool.gif

I was looking for information on a New Braunfels Vertical Water Smoker that I had bought off Craig's list when I found SMF...

I still haven't found the info I was looking for on that model of NB...
icon_smile.gif
I think they must have only made One of them. LOL

I haven't' been here long but I do love this place. I was a member of another forum since 2005 which will will be nameless. It was a nice place lots of info but not that many members online and very few posts. It seemed every time I logged on there were never or not that many new threads. I day I'm cruising the site and one your SMF members created a thread about about a topic that was on SMF and he thought we might be interested. He provided a link to the thread on this site so we could check it out and the rest is history. Although I still visit my old site from time to time this is where I call home now. There hasn't been a day go by that when I come here that I can't find a wide range of new topics. Everyone here is so nice and friendly with lots of great information. I'll be here for a long time.

It was Jan. 2008, I was Googling on how to smoke cheese,and looking for recipe ideas for my annual Daytona 500 party (always features goodies from the smoker). I found this link and ended up at SMF,lurked for a couple of weeks ,then just couldn't stand it,I had to get involved :). BTW discovered the fatty,served only two 2lbers,they disappeared FAST!

My son and I were just getting into smoking Ribs. He was looking for a good Rub recipe and founds Jeff and this site and it is history now. It a one stop information stop.

Thanks to all involved.

This could be a long one. I was just surfing about the internet and just typed in smoking meat as I'm always looking for new recipes and new things to try. Then I think it was the first thing that popped up smoking meat.com. I said self you have to try this one and the rest is history. Now a day cann't go by with out a stop in and check in on my new friends and there are alot or just to see what crazy az recipe someone has concocked. Let me tell you this, You people just aren't right there are some screws floating around the floor in ya'lls houses. But this is a GREAT place to hang out and kid around and talk poop with you's guys and girls. It is fun here and even the wife like some of the stuff that goes on here. I cann't wait until this gathering at jerry's camp it's a nice place and will be loads of fun the finally put faces to all of these names to whom I speak with. So I can thank Jeff for starting a good thing

"It's really you people out there that make this site the best it can be"
Thank you
Mark
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
:PDT_Armataz _01_37:
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I was Googling about two years ago - looking for information on "how to smoke ribs". I found the SMF site, and didn't get anythng done at work for the next 2 days.
icon_cool.gif

A little over two years ago I was looking for a way to smoke some chicken and the rest is history. Good things can last a long time.

I was walking through Walmart one day and they had an Electric Brinkman Gourmet on sale because the lid was dented on it so I picked it up. I had never made any real BBQ before and happened upon this site to somewhat get an idea of how to smoke.
A few months worth of lurking and I loved it so much I had to join up with the rest of you, and it has been smoky heavenly good times ever since.

I was looking around for competition cooking forums.This forum -thankfully is not that interested.Very arrogant types-some of them...

Then i saw the sausage,canadian bacon-folks like cowgirls cooking and was hooked..

The gardening spot on forum was icing on the cake....

I think I stated on this forum last January, but due to the system crash, I had to re-join. I was looking on google for some venison jerky recipes that I could do in my Big Chief smoker. Bamm, came across this site and started to look around. That was is, thats all it took. Another hobby to add to the list. I love to cook, and I think smoking meats was just a natural transition for me. Very outdoor orientied as am I. No I just need to increase my free time so I can smoke more.

I see a pattern here.
Most of us (Including myself) stumbled upon this site while searching for recipes and tips.
I've had a NB off set for 5 years and allways indirect grilled on it and made some very feeble attempts at smoking.
In Feb. i found SMF and after reading and talking w/ the great folks here.
I too have started putting out some terrific smoked meat.
Just want to say ,THANK YOU ALL!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky