Help ID'ing this tree

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

husker-q

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
KC, MO
Hi all - I was wanting your expertise in identifying this tree - it is at the edge of my backyard and has been dead for several years. It does show some new sprouts coming straight out of the larger trunks - so maybe not really dead - or some sucker has attached.

I live near KCMO - I have white ash, walnut green ash, oak that I know of but this seems different - I was hoping for hickory???????

ok i am looking at the national audubon society field guide to trees . and it apears not to be a hickory. if you could take a pic of a sprig of leaves with a close up of one leaf then i can narrow it down. you cant go by the bark because its rotted . right now it looks like it can be a flowering or alternating leaf Dogwwod. or a white mullberry or a white basswood. get me a better photo and ill nail it.
Eric

just some closure on this - I think it to be a Box Elder tree - and it's near dead neighbor a Hackberry -

I guess just good for firewood!

I'll have to venture further into the woods but the ticks are really heavy so maybe I can wait!!!
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky