• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Help Identifying Beef

mberrier

Joined Jul 28, 2021
So I have about 9 of these that were given me in a box with no Identification. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what it may be. They weigh 11 pounds each. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

Murdy

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 10, 2019
Just a guess here, untrimmed eye of round?? Not sure they get up to 10 or 11 pounds though.

clifish

Smoking Fanatic
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 25, 2019
would probably help if you removed one from the plastic and then post up a pic.

GonnaSmoke

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 19, 2018
Whole boneless ribeye is what it looks like to me. A picture of one unwrapped would definitely help identify. If it is a whole ribeye, cut into steaks of your preferred thickness and vacuum seal.

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
Not a clue. The first pic says from Uruguay and we all know they cut meat differently in other countries.
Wondering what the netting is about....

browneyesvictim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 16, 2016
Close as I can tell its a boneless rib roast (ribeye) aka Prime Rib Roast
Agree with the others, would need a closer look by unwrapping and taking the netting off.

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
well, since you have 9 of them...maybe thaw one can get a better looksee. chop a couple steaks off and see how that goes and go from there???

If you need help, I will gladly take one off your hands and help sort this out...free of charge :emoji_wink:

mberrier

Joined Jul 28, 2021
So I have about 9 of these that were given me in a box with no Identification. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what it may be. They weigh 11 pounds each. Thanks for the help.
Wow thanks for all the help! New to the forum but can tell I will enjoy it. I will thaw and unwrap one in a few days. Wanting to grill it but not sure with the string on it if I can take it off before searing.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 1, 2019
I'm guessing boneless ribeye roast too. Have you tried taking a photo of the bar code sticker shown in one photo?

browneyesvictim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 16, 2016
Wanting to grill it but not sure with the string on it if I can take it off before searing.
Sure. The netting is most likely stretchy elastic and will come right off. If not you can easily cut it off with some kitchen shears. It is typically used for whole roast to help them keep their shape while roasting. It will not burn off at oven temps.
If after you take it off you can slice it into steaks for searing on a hot grill, or you could leave it on and roast it whole in your oven or bbq @350' until the internal temp probe reaches about 129'. Pull out, tent to rest and carve.

Nodak21

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jul 24, 2018
9 boneless ribeye roasts like that are worth about as much as gold in today’s inflationary times

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.