HELP! Gas Range Recommendations???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deltadude

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 3, 2008
Sacramento Area
Next week we close escrow and move to a new (new to us) house.  While I got a great foreclosure deal, I am still limited on cash for upgrades.  The bank had put a brand new stove in, but it is the absolute cheapest stove made.  So I am going to sell it on Craigslist and replace with something better.  I am limited to a budget of about $650 max (less the $200+ hopefully I get for the brand new never used cheap one), 30" wide free standing.  Besides reliability, I want standard cast iron grates (not the cast iron covered with porcelain). 

My biggest problem in searching online has been Consumer reports rates ranges but the ones in my budget customer reviews say the opposite of CR on those particular models.  CR rates reliability by brand (#% is percentage of failure by customers surveyed), Hotpoint 7% as most reliable followed by GE 8%, Frigidaire 8%, Kenmore 9%, Whirlpool 11%, Maytag takes a significant jump in percentage of failures 14%. 

I guess what I am asking, if you have purchased a budget $400-$750 gas range in last 3 years, can you please comment on the brand reliability and features you like or dislike.

Our current home appliance are Bisque in color, new home requires White, I purchased a Kenmore fridge last year and already have had issues with it.  Fortunately a friend just bought 3 months ago a new  white Whirlpool double door with pull out freezer, and has offered to give this $1200+ fridge to us for free since they decided to change their kitchen appliances from white to black.

More importantly I am very luke warm on Kenmore after the fridge issue.

We have a GE Spectra electric stove, low end basic, but it's been a workhorse!  We just had the bottom element in the oven burn out, 1st thing we ever had go wrong with it and have owned it for over 7 years and got it fixed and now back working great!  I'd had a GE gas model previously and it was super also, probably still in the old house working like it did for us for so many years.

Are you looking for a range and oven or just a range?

I have a KitchenAid Cooktop for the last 4 years and love it

We have a whirlpool super capacity 465 in the house that we rent and it works great. It is a gas range/oven with the cast iron grates covered in porcelain. all in all it does a great job the one thing i don't like about it is that the back 2 burners put out less heat then the 2 front ones even though they look to be the same size.

here is a link to the one we have.

http://www.epinions.com/content_29612674692

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky